Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help setting up multiuser ap - record locking trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pire

Technical User
Sep 29, 2002
US
I've developed an application that needs to allow multiple user to access and edit records but when more than one tries to open it up they generally get an error message that says that records have been locked or placed in a "state" by another user. I think it's two different problems but recently I've been reading the threads and I keep coming across suggestions that bound controls are not good design practice. I'm assuming it's because it locks up the entire source table?
My database centers around one form and several subforms used to enter and view record information. Users are allowed to scroll through the records.

Can someone recommend general suggestions or a source of information that might help me pinpoint my trouble and correct it?

I have recently played with inserting a combobox for users to choose the record they would like to view. Haven't tested it yet; am i on the right track?

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

Trent

I've had that problem more than once, for different reasons. One, it can be caused by users not all having the latest Office Service Releases. If the one user without the lastest patch logs into the DB first, it will put it into a 'state'.

Also, sometimes if you have an XP machine sharing a database, it likes to hog the database. What I ended up doing to fix that problem was to split the database in to several. I have one DB with all the tables, and then I have another with the forms, queries and reports linked to the tables. Then I make copies of the front-end DB for each user. Obviously, I don't have an unmanageable number of users.

Another advantage to having a DB for each user is that you can tell by looking at the network who has their database open (the .ldb file). Keep a development copy of the front-end database so you can work on it without interference, and copy it over to the users periodically or as needed.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Tex. I've been experimenting with the fe - be routine and it seems to be the answer. Do you convert your front ends to .mde? Seems this is the route to go if you have inexperienced users. Also, have you found a solution to eliminate two different users from updating the same record without knowing it. Seems like the database won't tell you until you're ready to close the form and generally just a pain. Is there a way set an event procedure to save it at the time that it is updated? Is that a good way to go? Thanks.

T

Haven't logged in recently. There's more good information on this topic in thread181-606016. Tek-tips ROCKS!!

"Knowledge is Power . . . Computers are Power Tools"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back