Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Setting up a secure Server On Windows2000 advance server

Status
Not open for further replies.

golpemortal

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
US
hello i wanna set my server secuter for my marchans but
i don't wanna buy a certificate can i do it still using windows 2000 adv server using their resources
is it passible to do it?
and is so, how can I do it?

You will need a server certificate to make it secure. The best way of doing this is by buying one. However, you can generate your own using Windows 2000 Certificate Server. The only problem with this is that the certificate you generate will not be trustworthy to people connecting to your secure server.

When you buy a certificate, Verisign or whoever you buy it from verifies that you are who you say you are!!! So every internet browser is already set up to trust a certificate that has been issued by verisign. When you create your own, there is no way to trust the issuing authority (which is yourself when you generate your own certificate).

Your users will be presented with a security warning whenever they visit your secure server.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back