Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help setting null character, tab delimiter, removing space padding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffshih

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2004
US
Hello:

I'm using a script in SQL*Plus 8.1.6.0.0 to spool results in a very specific format. The formatting problem I'm having is getting all 3 of the following requirements met simultaneously:
1. trimming leading and trailing space padding for all columns, and
2. having a tab as my column delimiter, and
3. having a dash "-" to represent my nulls (rather than a blank)
I know how to achieve these formats independently, but can't seem to get them to work together. At the moment, I can only get 2 out of 3 working together.

For example, this will not trim space padding from each column, but will have dashed nulls and tab delimiters...
Code:
set null "-";
set trimout on;
set colsep "	";
set lines 1000 trimspool on heading off termout off feedback off sqlprompt '' wrap off pagesize 0;
spool d:\regi.out;
select signuptime,lower(state),lower(sex)
from foobar;
spool off;
exit;

...and this will not have dashed nulls even though I'm explicitly setting it, but will have space padding removed and tab column delimiters.
Code:
set null "-";
set lines 1000 trimspool on heading off termout off feedback off sqlprompt '' wrap off pagesize 0;
spool d:\regi.out;
select signuptime||chr(9)||lower(state)||chr(9)||lower(sex)
from foobar;
spool off;
exit;

I'm probably missing something ridiculously minor that's holding me back, but can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any insight and assistance!

Jeff,

If your second option is doing everything you want except for the NULL values, then you can use the following "Null-value" function:
Code:
select nvl(signuptime,'-')||chr(9)||nvl(lower(state),'-')||chr(9)||nvl(lower(sex),'-')
from foobar;

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 00:23 (13Mar04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 17:23 (12Mar04) Mountain Time)

Thank you, Mufasa -- the nvl function did it!

I had to apply the to_char function to the non-char column (see below), but I was able to get the desired result.

Code:
nvl(to_char(signuptime,'DD-Mon-YYYY HH24:MI:SS'),'-')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back