Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help- Server Locked Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmIdiot

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2001
US
Has anyone had this problem. I came into the office this morning and the server was locked up. On the screen I could control the mouse, but the screen just had the background color. I couldn't break out of this, nor could I reboot the server with Ctrl+Alt+Del. So I could move the mouse around but not do anything else. I finally powered the server down and brought it back up. I checked the logs and everything stopped reporting at 11:18 the night before, there were no goofy errors prior to that time. My questions are, what could cause the server to stop responding in that fashion? And, if I do get in a situation where I can move the mouse, but nothing really else, is there some way I can safely bring the server down? Any advice or similar experices would be helpful. Thanks

Its safer to bring it down with the power switch vs a hammer. Other than that, if ctrl alt del won't get you to the task manager then it is your only option. Some computers require you to hold the power button for 10 seconds to hard power down during a lockup. It does have the built in disk scan that should have activated when you started it back up to check the consistency of your files. Thats about as good as it gets and I've seen many computers restarted like that with no problems (power failures are fun). As for the lockup, I've never seen it do that before.

Could be many things that can make a system freeze.
Drivers, ACPI, power savings issues, Active Desktop, software,... etc etc.
Is your duty to track the system.
Was this first time? Prepare some logs, make an inventory of soft and hard involved. And, wait for the next crash.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back