Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Running DNS behind router with Dynamic IP Add

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jurass1c

ISP
Sep 28, 2002
GB
Could someone please tell me the best way to run a primary DNS server on Windows 2000 Advanced server behind a router(Draytek) that uses NAT translation to private IP add 192.168.1.x for the server. I have a dynamic IP address from my ISP and have the secondary dns service set up with someone else ready to go but I cant figure out how to run the DNS server on my machine.

Can this be done or will I have to get a Static IP address from my ISP??

TIA

You can´t use your internal machine as public DNS Server with a dinamic IP form your ISP. DNS Server needs a static IP.

Well if there was no router thats not strictly true as I could use the "Simple DNS Plus" application with a dynamic IP address by creating a dummy network card i.e. a Loopback Adapter with its own IP address of 192.168.1.1 for example and that would work.

However my problem is that my Win 2k Server is behind my own router with NAT so thats why I am posing the question. I could take it out and it would work but i dont want to do that really.

With the router in between running NAT the public side of the router will have to be aware of the DNS server and have a static NAT entry to it. Then you can use Simple DNS Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back