Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Resizing MPath Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay33

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2002
US
Hello All,

I am working on expanding a partition on my SUSE Linux Server but having a problem doing so. Here is some background on the setup.

- The drive is a "Virtual Drive" on a Dell San device
- I have increased the allocated space to that virtual disk from about 973GB to 1.16TB
- I rebooted to make sure the system rescanned the drives
- I can see through "Partitioner" that 1. the /dev/sdc drive now shows 1.1TB as it should and 2. the /dev/mapper/mpathc partition is listed at 1.1TB as well.
- Looking at "partitioner" it lists that partition type as a DM.
- The underlying file system for that partition is ext3 and I am not using LVM on that partition.

The issue is using the df -h command, I still only see 973G.

I attempted using the multipathd -k"resize map mpathc" command but it sat for over an hour and I never saw a change.

I'd appreciate anyone's help on how to expand what the file system sees.

Attached is a screen shot of the df -h, fdisk -l and Partitioner window.

Best regards,

Hello Chgwhat,

Thank you for your reply. I think were on the right track. The fdisk -l does show /dev/sdc as 1245 GB as is it should with the new space. I am confused though at the partition nameing and what to resize. In the example, there are sda1, sda2,etc which I understand are partitions on sda.... on my system, I the disk is sdc, but I have no sdc1 for a partition. What I do see is /dev/dm-3 which matches the sdc size. Would that be the partition on my system? So is it already expanded meaning I just need to resize the file system?

Daniel

Looks like you just need to resize the filesystem as you have no partition.

Tony ... aka chgwhat

When in doubt,,, Power out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back