Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help required with installation of E220 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirel

Programmer
Feb 24, 2000
GB
Hello,<br><br>Does anyone know how to connect a PC to an E220 server to act as a console.&nbsp;&nbsp;Nothing has yet been intalled on the box.&nbsp;&nbsp;I just need to get talking to it before I can start installing things.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've tried using terminal emulators on my PC attached serially to the E200 but nothing happens.<br><br>Any ideas!<br>

Hey,<br><br>Are you sure you are using the correct serial Cable DB25 -&gt; DB9?<br>If so here is what is I do, (I have 2 220R's)<br><br>1. Connect the terminals data cable to serial port A on the servers back panel.<br><br>2. Connect the other end (DB9) to the com port on the back of your PC<br><br>3. Using a terminal emulator (hypertrm, anzio...) set the terminal to receive <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;At 9600 baud<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;An 8-bit signal with no parity and 1 stop bit<br><br>4. turn on the 220R and wait....<br><br>Cheers<br><br>Roy White

I'm desperately trying this and it is not working!

Sun says it is the 25 -> 9 cable, I have 2 Belkins cables neither works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-ana

Hi,

As above, it needs to be a null modem cable (pins 2-->3, 3-->2, 7-->7 is the simplest form). Plug in at both ends and use any terminal emulation (Hyperterm works fine) with settings at 9600-8-N-1, and start the box.

Regards,
Darren

Hi,

drathbone's right it needs to be a null modem cable, but SecureCRT works much better than Hyperterm, it does the emulation much better.

good luck
Reese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back