Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help replacing PDC with a machine of the same name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norwich

MIS
Mar 3, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm planning on replacing the domain's PDC with a higher spec server. However, I would like to retain the machines name due it it being references with various scripts, applications etc on the network.

I would also like to achive this by actually installing the machine with the same name rather then set up some form of aliasing in name resolution.

Anyway, the plan I have is as follows - PSC called 'server1':

1. Backup everything in sight.

2. Install a new NT server on the network and create as a BDC to the existing domain. Service pack up etc.

3. Promote this to the network PDC

4. Decommission the old 'server1' PDC (now a BDC).

5. Delete the 'server1' from the domain's server list.

6. Install the new machine and name it 'server1'. Service pack etc.

7. Promote 'server1' to the PDC

8. Decommission the temporary BDC.

Note: I didn't use the existing network BDC's in the process just so as to not tempt fate with something going wrong.

Now, can anyone think of a better way or identify somthing I have got wrong? Also, in a Usenet search I found someone mentioning that various system user accounts would need to be deleted prior to the decommissioning of the old server - eg IIS web account etc. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

Norwich

I would personally promote the current BDC to the PDC first and make sure all the scripts etc that run are copied to the appropriate areas is you are using replication. Once the domain is stable and your happy the PDC is happily running away do an outage and switch off the old PDC which should have automatically been demoted to a BDC. Install the new one as the BDC with the same name and restore data back to it and then remove it from the server manager give it a few minutes and add it again. Bring the new one up an d it should be happily in the domain. Once it is promote it..

I'm in the process of doing the EXACT same thing: thread55-296021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back