Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help removing a site from IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerald

Programmer
Apr 10, 2000
US
Somehow I think I messed up the AdminACL on 2 sites on our web server. It will not let me look at the properties, or delete the site, it keeps telling me access denied. I am logged into the machine as Administrator. <br><br>How would I go about fixing this? Am I going to have to resort to drastic measures or is there an easy way?<br><br>Thanks<br>Gerald<br>

Hi Gerald.

How are you trying to delete this site?

if you trying to physically remove it from the hard drive,

You may be getting an access violation because of iis processes.

It could be a service which has excusively locked access to the a directory or file: the iisadmin, w3svc, or index server can cause this problem. Try stoppping the services. The index service often has mutiple processes running: if you open the index server snap-in and stop the processes that allows you to delete sites that may contain catalogues.

Hope this is of help.

Actually what happened is, I changed a property for this site that is called AdminAcl. I thing what I ended up doing is taking away everybodys right to administer the site in MMC or any other IIS admin tools.

When I look in MMC, it shows the site listed as [Web Site #122]

If I click on that site, it gives me an error that it cannot enumerate properties because access was denied.
If I right click on the site, and choose properties from the pop-up menu, nothing happens. If I highlight the site and try to delete it from MMC, it tells me Access Denied. If I try to manipulate it in any way it tells me access denied.

unfortunately I do not have a current backup of the metabase.

I have over 100 virtual servers running on this machine, with so many customized settings that reinstalling IIS is not really much of an option.

I can get by for now by setting those couple of sites up additionally with new IP numbers, but this situation is killing my automation scripts.

Ahhh well. I guess this is what I get for slacking on the backup.

Hi Gerald

I am guilty as charged for being slack with back-ups as well.
:)

Can you tell me how you changed the property for the site Adminacl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back