Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!!! Removed spare Harddrive but PC now wont boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remeartificer

Technical User
May 7, 2004
GB
HI folks

Gave the mother my spare PC which has 2 HDD's. C & F. Win XP installed on C.

Now want the F Drive back to fit in my PC. Looked in Windows Explorer and the F drive is empty. Formatted the F drive and all went OK.

Removed F Drive and then rebooted. Machine failed to reboot, saying insert system disc? Why has my removing an empty drive stopped the PC from booting up on the C Drive?

Advice welcomed. Thanks.

Just found a old HDD in the cupboard and attached it as the 2nd HDD and it seems to boot up OK. Why does this PC insist on a 2nd HDD before it will boot up?

Check the BIOS.
You may need to autodetect the Hard Drives. Once this is done ensure you only have listed what you want.

sounds like a jumper on the drive is set as master /with slave... some drives have a master setting and a master setting with slave. you have to make sure the drive is set as master only

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back