Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help regarding interviews 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsst

Programmer
May 25, 2005
US
Hello everyone!

I am a novice java programmer, having good technical skills in Java and J2EE. I gained those thechnical skills by reading and practicing applications (worked really hard on that). I started attending interviews, and could do very well in all of them. But no one is turning up. So, I need some advice regarding this, and can anyone please help me out, where I am lacking.

Thank You

I think you should have some printing and screenshot of the demonstration of each of your application(project). There should be heading in each paper showing what technique and application server you are using.(e.g. A customer form using JSP and JavaBeans connect to MySQL database with Tomcat Application Server).

You should know the requirement before the interview. I think you should have one to two projects to show in the interview.

I myself have Java Applet show real time graphs of HK Hang Seng Index with Java Graphic2D. You may add the logo in applet for target your company to get interview.
I have a project using JSP, JavaBeans to maintain customer records on MySQL and Tomcat.
I have a similar project using EJB with Weblogic to maintain customer record and using Java Swing as Interface.
After I fail a interview, I focus on the technique I am weak and may create a project demo with it.

*** you should know the strength and weakness of Java technique. Show the interviewer you know when to using which technique.

Thank You for your valuable suggestion. I just has a telephone interview, and the interviewer asked me all soughts of questions, regarding the requirements gathering, how I interacted people of different levels, what were the problems I faced, how I solved them etc. I couldn't answer any of these questions, as I don't have the real time experience. If he had asked me technical questions regarding java and J2EE, I would have answered. Can you please tell me how to handle these questions, or where can I find the related information.

Requirements gathering is a very difficult to get right, because the client isn't quite sure "exactly" what he wants. English is a natural language where the same set of words mean different things to different people, and getting the requirements right is very important if your just working off a requirements document. You have to make sure that the product your about to disappear to build is the same product that is described in the design document, or you need to be able to keep going back and asking "is this along the right lines?"

I think the best bet is to find a company that has an itch that needs to be scratched. Scratch it for free, donating the code to the FOSS movment, and then you have a few more things to add to the conversation. First, you've got another project, a real one, under your belt -- that people are really using for real work. Second, it's now open source, so that your potential employer sees that you enjoy what you do, and do it on your off time too. Third, they can see the quality of the work, because they can look at the source code. Finally, you have had a chance to go through the whole process of gathering requirements, designing a system and then implimenting it. Then, you'll know how to answer that type of question.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back