Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP !! Redhat 8.0 boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielemasson

Programmer
Apr 6, 2002
CO
Hello everyone i just installed rh 8.0 in a machine with intel mother board and celeron 466MHZ and 256MB RAM, ... installation goes perfect ... when booting it says:

Welcome to RedHat ....
Mounting proc filesystem OK
Umounting intrd OK
Configuring kernel parameters OK

and then nothing happens, doesnt resume the booting process ... it happende too with 7.3 ... i need help URGENTLY !!!!!

Hmm, if it also happend on your 7.3 then you must have an hardware which is not compatible, I guess.

I just downloaded an installed redhat8.0 as well When booting it goes through the normal booting stage then sticks at starting sendmail, Maybe for about 6 minutes then finishes booting .
so you might want to see if it will finish
also...Does sound like you may have some hardware issues considering it happened on an earlier version of redhat....at the bottom is a link so you can go an check
which hardware that are compatible with redhatx.x
an compare it with the hard ware you got ''now''
you might need to sign in your user id/password
if not register for userid/password
hope that helps

thank Tack ---

very helpful !!! i just read the boot-procces doc, but ... problem not solved yet ..

i found that the next step in the boot proccess is the system clock .. and i fonund that the BOIS time ... never moves .. i mena if i set the bois time to 7:00 AM ... it will remain the same forever ... is there somthing i should know about bios clock and linx system time or something ??

message to tack...
about the sendmail issues. i had the same problem for a very long time, and im not 100% on the solution but im fairly certain your hostname is not configured correctly. im guessing it is not your "fully qualified" hostname. sorry that i cant give you the exact fix, but hopefully that'll give you a place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back