Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!! RAID rebuild after loss of one drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamphyri

Technical User
Aug 30, 2004
US
Just in case, I am posting this as new. I am currently having a problem with our RAID 5 on our Power edge 2500. We lost one drive and nothing worked anymore (Windows would not boot). The Tech just left after installing the new drive and he did not seem to know anything about activating the drive. I myself am not completely sure how to do it (all I know is that it is critical that I recover the data on the second partition). With the new drive in, the new drive has a steady on light (green) with the other two flashing (green) but no other activity. He stated Dell support told him that it is rebuilding and will take another 1/2 hour. However, there is no other indication. How do I mount the drive into the RAID Stack and how do I initiate and track the rebuild??? We are using the PERC 3 Di on a Win 2K operating system (which does not boot...)

Hopefully you have a good backup ); --
Boot the server and when your PERC Raid controller initializes, you will see a message about CTRL-M to enter PERC BIOS.
From this screen you will be able to check the status of your rebuild.
You may have to force the rebuild process.
What version of PERC do you have? (2/3/4 SC/DC/DI)?

Does anyone know of a tool to configure Raid partitions unattended for Dell PERC raid controllers? I am trying to build a PXE hands free imaging process. I know HP/Compaq provides on with their Smart Start scripting tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back