Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP--PowerPoint 2002 Embedding Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmIdiot

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2001
US
Is it possible to embed a video into a powerpoint presentation and than have the video play within PowerPoint? I have been able to embed a video, but than it plays opens in an external player. I have also been able to play the video inside the powerpoint presentation, but if I send the presentation to someone else, it will not open. Is there an easy way to make add the video to the PowerPoint presentation and than send it to someone (as one file) and they see and play the video within the presentation? Any help, even if you tell me it can't be done would be great! Thanks.

Please look at MS article Q240923
I don't particularly care about apathy

But what if I send this powerpoint file to someone else? The won't be able to play the Video file unless I also send the video and they save it in the same location? Is that correct, or is there some way I can embed it into the file itself?

I have never done it so I am not sure. But you could try saving the presentation as PPS and see if it works. This assumes that the user has PowerPoint installed on the system. I think you you will have to send the Mpeg or AVI.

You could also try pack and go. In love with Irene Jacob. Wife knows about it, Irene doesn't.

You cannot "embed" a video in a Powerpoint presentation. It is automatically "linked" instead, AND it will only use a direct address to the video (not relative).

Therefore, you must send the video and presentation to the person PLUS they must place the video in the exact same path you had it originally. If they try to play it in powerpoint as a PPT, it will ask them to find the video if it is not, but if they just play it as a PPS or as a "Show", the video will just not play.

As for playing "in" or "outside" a presentation file, it depends on the setup of the computer. If you embed a file that powerpoint recognizes, and your computer has a OLE object that matches the one in the playback information in your file, then it should play IN the presentation. If the person you send the file to does not have the same OLE module required to play back the video, then it will attempt to play the file in an external viewer.

As a note, PPT was never designed for "distributable multimedia" ... it was designed for giving presentations, usually from the same computer it was designed for, or at least to be tweaked on a new system before showing it ... it is not the type of device you can use for CDs etc, especially when video and audio is in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back