Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help plz ? Webpage resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomball

Technical User
Dec 14, 2005
US
I run my desktop at a real high resolution so when I made my 1st frontpage webpage it was made at a high resolution. Now i published the site and look at it on other peoples computers only half the page is visible. Is there any way to change the resolution on my webpage or am i going to have to redo the whole thing

If you didn't specify sizes of anything, the page should just cope. You probably need to go in on the HTML view and remove all the specific sizing where it doesn't matter. In short, you don't have to redo the whole site: only bits of it.

A lot of the design depends on how people view websites. Some always run the browser fullscreen. I hardly ever run anything fullscreen. Just personal preference. As a result, when things are in fixed positions on the right, I can actually miss them because they are not visible. If you ever have to stick anything on the right, make sure it is not important.

In theory, good websites should be able to cope with 800x600 (minimum XP resolution). Having said that, many designers don't bother so you end up with half the website visible on an 800x600 screen. The minimum that most cope with is 1024x768 (minimum Vista resolution). This is absolutely crap for notebooks which have a resolution of 1024x600.

Since there are not that many 800x600 notebooks about (I am the only person I know who still uses one regularly), you can probably base it on 1024x600 as the minimum you ought to cater for. This will be good for netbooks.

Many people don't mind scrolling vertically but somehow scrolling horizontally annoys them.

Also view on several browsers: not just IE, unless it is an intranet and the only browser is IE.

You can download virtual machines from The great thing about these is you can set the max screen resolution, run the browser fullscreen and see immediately what the result looks like.

Two Ways to Looka at this.

enclose all you code in an 800 X 600 table that is centered on the page and work within those contraints.

or

enclose your web page in a 100% width table.

Then do as the other post suggested, as you are coding, look at it in different resolutions; look at your page through the "eyes" of the grandma still using a windows 98 machine, at 800x600 rez.

Front Page even has an option to PREVIEW IN different screen sizes for this very purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back