Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Plz to Make My Computer As Domain Without Internet! 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

HNA

Programmer
Jan 13, 2003
KW
Hi There,

I Have A Network For Over 30 Computer, I Have Installed Windows 2000 Family Server, But I Want To Have Same Purpose As In Windows NT, To Make My Server As Domain With Out Internet And set Each And Every computer as Member Of This Domain.
I Found That This Windows Has Some Hard Steps To Setup A Domain.....Active Directory....Domain Name Should Be Name.Somthing...........etc. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Please Can Some One Tell Me Even Shortly, How I setup My Network Correctly By Using This Windows.

Realy, thanks In Advance.
Sam

" Åä Çááå íÍÈ ÅÐÇ Úãá ÃÍÏßã ÚãáÇ Ãä íÊÞäå "

run dcpromo to install AD and DNS. when asked for DNS name for domain (i.e. microsoft.com) give it a fake name such as office.prvt

James
MCP, MCSE

Whe you install Active Directory, you will be asked for 2 domain names, a DNS based domain name and a NETBIOS domain name.

lets says your domain name is your company name such as ACME. Make your DNS based domain name:

acme.local

when asked for your NETBIOS domain name for older operating systems, use:

ACME

Thats it. Active directory will install DNS as part of it's install. You do not need to change anything in DNS unless you have special internet requirements, which it sounds like you dont.

Stannerack is correct. What you have been dealing with in the NT world is netbios (wins) names. You've not had to deal with DNS which is requirement for 2000 server and 2003 server running as a domain controller. You really have nothing to worry about. Just because you add DNS to your network doesn't mean you still can't use netbios (wins). You will still be able to reference your network and domain through their netbios names. Unlike netbios names, DNS names must follow a naming convention. Your DNS name must be a fully qualified domain name (FQDN). You don't have to use domain.com if you don't want to. You could use domain.joe for all it matters. Some of the .'s are registered through DNS on the internet like .com, .org, .net, .gov, etc. Some administrators purposly use things like .work, .lan, .private, etc as part of their FQDN domain name (i.e. domain.lan). That way, whenever they do provide access for their clients, the don't have to worry about another company already having their domain name registered through .com. When you are ready to register your domain on the internet, don't worry if it is already called domain.lan and you want to register it as supercompany.com on the internet. All the DNS record does is resolve the dns name to a fixed ip address. Your ISP will be the one with the DNS record that resolves supercompany.com to your internet address even if your servers think they are part of the domain.lan network. So... what I recommend is chosing a FQDN for your domain that reflects what your netbios domain name already is. If your NT domain is called BOB, then make your domain BOB.LAN for your DNS. Users can still use netbios over tcp/ip (network setting) so they will log into the BOB domain just like they always did.

Thank you all and here is a star for all of you.

" Åä Çááå íÍÈ ÅÐÇ Úãá ÃÍÏßã ÚãáÇ Ãä íÊÞäå "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back