Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Please - I've very confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabez1771

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
I have a computer running XP. All of a sudden the other day, internet explorer reset it's home page to: C:\Windows\Secure.

I don't know why or how it did this. I can tell you that I have gone in under internet options and changed it back to the correct home page many times now, but each time, it just reverts right back to this C:\Windows\Secure immediately as if I never changed it.

If anyone can tell me what is happening here and how to fix it I would be ever so greatful.

Thank you.

Jabez

Thank you for the lighting fast responses. I'll check them both out.

Jabez

Update..
I installed Ad-ware and it deleted 7 files. Rebooted. Same problem. Went to start>run>msconfig and selected start-up tab. "reg32" is listed there. Went to http:/ to check it out. It says that the "reg32" start up is a "hijacker - redirecting to only-virgins.com".

I assume I need to delete this but am not sure how. Do I just uncheck the box but then what?? Hit apply and OK??? Will that get rid of it??

Thanks

Unchecking it in MsConfig will stop it loading at Startup if you press Apply and OK, it will also produce a warning about Selective Startup at next boot. There will be a box to check to ignore this warning, it is safe to ignore this warning.

If you run Hijack This, it will provide you with a Startup list and locations.

Some of the more common ones are -

Windows XP Professional starts logon scripts, startup programs, and services referenced in these registry subkeys and folder locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Also any decent Registry Cleaner would edit and clean the MsConfig Startup Window too.

Registry cleaner recommendations?
thread779-755465

Removing a Program from Startup in xP
thread779-631159

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back