Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help - Physical Inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.

streborr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
When creating tags for a physical inventory, the quantity on hand and the current cost are captured and stored in the IMTAGFIL, at least this is what it says in the help files.

Now, some batches in the file do contain quantity and cost and some don't. The batches without item numbers on the tags are the ones that did not capture the numbers. I don't understand why or how this could be.

We already started the count. I just went in and looked at the file for the hell of it and was completely shocked when I saw that those numbers were not captured.

7.6.300c

Does anyone know why or how this could happen? I really need those numbers.

Thanks,
Rick

Extra Tags?

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!

Yes, I printed extra tags for all batches, if that was your question.

Example:

Batch ID - SW06 (quantities not in IMTAGFIL)
(no lot, no multiple bins)
Create Physical Count without Item Numbers
Exclude Zero Quantities
Use Frozen Quatities in Calculations
2077 items with QOH, printed 233 extra tags
total tags = 2300

The batches that show frozen quantity and cost are cycle count batches.

In another company:

Batch ID - SW06 (quantities ARE in IMTAGFIL)
(no lot, no multiple bins)
Create Physical Count WITH Item Numbers
Exclude Zero Quantities
Use Frozen Quatities in Calculations
25 items with QOH, printed 5 extra tags
total tags = 30

Thanks Andy

I created a backup of the company and followed all the steps to end the count.

I wanted to see the results of the variance report. In the live company, the variance report by item number, shows the frozen quantities and costs for each item entered but does not show the totals at the bottom.

In the backup company, I clicked the "Count Extra Tags" button on the Enter Tag Counts screen then ran the variance report by numbers again. The report shows the totals at the bottom but the "frozen numbers" are different than the stock status numbers taken before the count. I ran a stock status report prior to the actual physical count for comparison.

Since we weren't actually done with the real count, we only counted or entered 655 tags/items. This may explain the difference between the stock status report and the totals on the variance report. It appears that the variance report just shows the variance for items that were actually counted/entered.
The difference before and after 655 items counted/entered vs the difference between the total "frozen quantities" (of the 2077 items) and the final (variance report - 655 items) "frozen quantities".

- I think I may be starting to answer my own questions -

So then, the more we count/enter, the closer we'll be to the captured numbers. (Duh, the whole purpose of doing the count)

By the way, I believe I found where the frozen numbers are actually stored. In the IMINVLOC file there are columns called - "frz_qty" and frz_cost" are probably for the "Freeze Inventory", which are empty, and there are columns - named "tag_qty" and "tag_cost" where the true captured or frozen quantities and cost for physical inventory are stored.

Please let me know if this is correct.

I appologize if I'm rambling on but the reason for this post in the first place was because the frozen numbers were not in the IMTAGFIL, like the help files said, but rather in the IMINVLOC file. Why isn't this stated in the help files?

Thanks for all your help
Rick

"Without deviation, progress is not possible."
Frank Zappa

The frz_qty and frz_cost fields get updated when you run the "Freeze Inventory" function in IM / Processess

Kevin Scheeler

Kevin,

But that doesn't have anything to do with the frozen quanities for a physcical count, does it?

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back