Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Pervasive OLEDB and ASP locks up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheerfulskeptic

Programmer
Feb 3, 2003
IN
we are using Pervasive V8 and are running some ASP pages that report on financial data from MAX.
The ODBC drivers are somehow very slow, so we decided to switch to OLEDB.
I downloaded the OLEDB for Pervasive from the pervasive website and installed it. However, when I write out the following code, and execute a simple ASP page, it locks up.

set objConn = server.createobject ("ADODB.Connection")
objConn.connectionstring = "PervasiveOLEDB;Data Source=SALES"
objConn.open

SALES is the name of hte MAX data source (not ODBC)
Any ideas?
Are there any DLLs out there that will allow me to connect via a DDF file thru ASP. I dont have any joins, and am just getting certain data with specific where criteria from one table.
thanks

First off, OLEDB and ODBC are built using the same underlying engine with Pervasive. You probably won't get much performance increase with OLEDB.
Is the query you're running slow through the PCC? If so, you're probably ending up with a table scan. Do a search for the "QUery Plan Viewer" and you'll find docs that tell you how to use it to determine what's happening with the query.

Also, what's locking up? The ASP page or the engine or IIS? Is there anything in any of the logs (PVSW.LOG, IIS log, Event Viewer, etc)?

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

One more thing, if you change the connection string to point to DEMODATA and the Select to point to the Class table (or some other table in DEMODATA), does it still lock up?

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back