Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! PDF seems fine until the printer gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelmage

Programmer
Dec 30, 2003
US
Ok. So I have this problem. When I used to use Quark 5, I would make a postscript file and then Distill it w/ Acrobat Distiller and the file would be fine. Never any problem w/ printers. The I upgraded to Panther on my Mac and let go of Classic.

Now that I upgraded to Quark 6, PDFing is supposed to be automatic. I heard there were problems w/ PDFing so instead of exporting to PDF I go to the print menu and save as PDF. The problem is my PDFs are saving images as RGB files. All the images I use in my file are CMYK and when I go into Quark preferences and click on default options in the PDF option I have it set to CMYK color output. When I go under Edit>Print styles I made sure output is set to CMYK. There are no stray colors in my color palette.

I checked my PDF prefs to see if there was a wrong setting there, but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

There appeared to be no problems what-so-ever when I made the PDFs. I opened them up, and they looked fine. But when I sent them to the printer they said they couldn't print from the PDFs. It appears that something is saved as an RGB image. There were no hidden pics. I checked. But I sent it through FlightCheck and it's telling me the same thing - There are RGB images in the file - but it doesn't specify where.

What is going on? Anyone have any suggestions as to how to make reliable PDFs in Quark 6? Any and all help is appreciated!

The Problem is you go to the print menu and then do save as PDF. This functionality is not provided by Quark. Instead this is operating system's functionality. If you don't want to use XPress 6.x exporting layout as pdf then you can make .ps file and then distill it and also while making .ps file you can specify the output settings(cmyk or rgb).Reliable and tested way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back