Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help. PC won't boot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzm1

Technical User
Dec 12, 2003
US
Hi all. Hope someone can help me. I have a PC running Windows 98SE. PC Chips motherboard, with a AMD 900 mhz Duron CPU.512 mb RAM. The problem is my computer starts, nothing shows on the screen, error codes are one beep, followed by two beeps. All the while the A drive continues to run, and the light comes on for the CD-Rom, but it won't read my emergency boot disc. For a while it would start by throwing the emergency floppy disk in the A drive, letting it start up, and then removing it quickly. Please help!! Thank you. Ben

Howdy:

Are you sure you are giving us the "whole" story?? Sounds like someone may heve been inside the case playing around a bit..

Just about every BIOS lists your error message as a video failure. Either the card isn't seated correctly, has burnt out or the cable from the cardto the monitor is not seated or broken.

As for the floppy, sounds like someone may have disconnected the ribbon cable and then plugged it back in backwards..

Murray

Agree with murray , looping in bios post on the floppy
usually indicates a faulty FDD .
Try disconnecting it completely and boot with a bootable cd(just for the test).

syar

Generally I recommend that people run the other way whenever they see anything with PC Chips written on it.

However might be a couple of things to check.

Try removing the RAM and reinserting it and then check all the cables and the video card.

Often when you get this type of alarm it is the RAM or the Video Card.

Yes, you are right, I had been in the case. I didn't think it was important to mention that I had put the thing together myself. As far as the information you folks have shared with me, it is so appreciated. Thank you very much! I will be sure to share results with you. Take care. benzm1

the ol tinkerin trouble.....

How else are we supposed to learn? (Good thing parts are getting cheaper!)

just sucks when your comp decides to TEACH you that putting a jumper in the wrong place likes to short out your mobo... someone could have just told me lol. but hey that was years ago. wouldnt make that mistake again =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back