Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! P3 CPU & Motherboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

steboy01

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
GB
Now i thought I knew a thing or too but im stuck now. My sisters computer went tits up when she got some sort of error, so just turned it off at the power! the thing now turns on, but nothing appears on the screen, ive tested most things using an old computer i have, and figured that the CPU needed replacing. shes got a P3 450, so i got hold of another one of them. Just fitted that today & it still doesnt work, but when i put a pentium 2 CPU out of my older computer into it, it works fine. (her motherboard supports slot 1 P2 & P3) Now i guess both the P3 processors I now have could both be broken, but im pretty sure the one i just got should work, although i have no other machine to test it on. anyone know whether the motherboard in her computer could have broken in some way, meaning that it will only run P2 CPUs now? i didnt think that was likely but cant think of an explanation. i have been told it could be the voltage regulator something! can this be fixed. its a daewoo cb648x-bx mtherboard by the way, and intel pentium 3 450mhz processor. if anyone could help id very much appreciate it.

its definitely not the voltage. voltage regulators are now digital and fully automatic. but it might be that the other cpu is bad, as you said yourself, so id test it or try another p3 in that laptop.

are you sure her turning the power off abrubtly couldnt have blown the voltage regulator or something? dont p2s and p3s run on different voltages, meaning the motherboard can now only run p2 processors? this is only a thought of mine, i dont know wat im talking about at all!

dont know that mb but had one like it, voltage is proably auto But be sure that there aren't jumpers for the bus speed and or clock speed. another thing to check would be the memory, might be enough for p2 but not p3 could be just 1 bad chip on the stick of memory, that shows at p3 and not p2, check the speed of the memory also. hope this helps good luck!

i shouldnt have to touch jumper settings because they were al fine before with the p3. i will take a look at the memory, but if its a problem with the mobo i think its going to be hard to get hold of one exactly the same isnt it? so may just put a p2 in it. at least i know that works!

steboy01, if you say p3 worked then logically another p3 should work too - if you cant test it then get hold of another p3 and put it in. but i seen some things that have surpassed all logic, you'd think that comps were precise and all but sometimes it looks like they got whims of their own... anyway, you were right when u said that they ran on different voltages - p3 on 2v and p2 on 3.3v. but unless your mobo is from before 1995 or somesuch i wouldnt expect to find a vrm on it.

the more i think the more it looks like that other p3 is also bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back