Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP on Windows NT Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudz

MIS
Jun 2, 2003
PH
1. How can we create a roaming profile that will only include application data,cookies and history?

2. When a user logs off why does roaming profile cannot be updated in the server? What are the switches we need to change in order to automatically update the profile on the server?

1. In policy editor you can specify folders to omit from the roaming profile - may be useful.

2. Can you clarify what you mean. Does user get a message when logging off to this effect? Has user got sufficient permissions to the profile folder & subfolders? (and/or shares, if in use)?

1. Thanks but how can we disable from copying other files like desktop, My documents...etc. so that the profile of a user will only contain application data, cookies and history?

2. There is no message displayed when a user log off. Our problem was we are using windows NT 4.0 when the user login the updated profile from server must be copied to workstation and when they logoff the updated profile from the workstation will be copied to the server. But in our case when we use windows NT, upon logging of it always display that your local profile is newer than your roaming files means that when they logoff the updated profile on the workstation is not updating the profile on the server so when we logon to other workstation we can only access our old profile since it does not update the profile on the server.

claudz - did you read my replies?

1. You can use Policy Editor to omit/leave out folders from the profile (ie, you specify which folders NOT to be included, eg, desktop, personal (if its NT) etc. I'm not on NT server machine now and can't remember exactly where/how you do this in Policy Editor - which is why I posted the link. I'll have a look later and post instructions if you need them).

2. So have you checked the permissions of the user's roaming profile folder on the server. They need full permissions to it (eg, if they've got read, it will load but not save back).

Can it be a timeout problem resulting in the updated profile not beeing saved ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back