Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on RPG-JAVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warnie

Technical User
Oct 4, 2001
US
Hi,

I am doing a migration from RPG to JAVA. I need to know how can I migrate my BINARY data in RPG to JAVA. Does JAVA support BINARY data? Any pointers will be worth it.

Thanks,
Warnie

What kind of binary data ? if is EBCDIC files you can first convert ebcdic data to ascii with "dd" command using option conv=ascii, and then load ascii data into your java application.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Carlos Almeida,

Thanks for the reply Carlos. I will explain the situation to you. I have a data file in AS400/RPG which gives the data for the data structure described in the physical file.
Now, I am migrating this to a MS Access database. Since I am doing this in a Windows environment, I am unable to see the Binary data. I am running FORTE for JAVA. My problem is with migrating this Binary data to MS Access. For eg., one of the sample data I have is as follows:

000010300010Crjrj €¬rjrj"   †” ¯   

Though I am able to make out the first few columns, after that the data is unreadable. How do I retrieve this data and port it to MS Access which will be accessed by my JAVA application?

Thanks,
Warnie

Well it seams to be a EBCDIC data file, the fields of data unreadable should be packed numeric data, so "dd" will do the trick, transfer the data file to Unix system and run "dd" with conv=ascii, to transfer all packed numeric to ascii data, you will need also the RPG data definition to known where the fields start and end, to them load ascii data correctly into your java application.

Regards,

Carlos Almeida,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back