Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on MIP based Source NATing

Status
Not open for further replies.

insinus

Technical User
Mar 7, 2012
AT
Hi All,
First of for your kind Info- I am newbie in Netscreen Configuration. First of all let me explain the situations in a simple method.
1. I have two servers with a Heartbeat IP- 10.1.1.250 (10.1.1.0/24) in DMZ Zone (DMZ INt. IP 10.1.1.254/32)
2. I got 5 usable static IPs - xxx.xxx.231.98-xxx.xxx.231.102
3. They alotted me a single static IP 62.xxx.xx.10 which my UNTRUST INTERFACE gets from the ISP in DHCP mode. the 5 usable IPs are available on the UNTRUST INTERFACE only if i fetch the single IP xxx.xxx.127.10 setting the UNTRUST Interface to DHCP. this way my Untrust Interface gets the IP : 62.xxx.xxx.10
4. My goal is to translate one of the 5 IPs namely 212.xxx.xxx.98 to translate to 10.1.1.250, and 10.1.1.250 to 212.xxx.xxx.98

My Tries:
1. I had to go for MIP as i have Screen os 5.x which doesnt allow to have a DIP which is not in the same subnet as the INTERFACE IP. Hints: Interface IP is 62.xxx.xxx.10 and the IP to be NATed is 212.xxx.xxx.98
2. So with MIP it went fine with Mapped IP- 212.xxx.xxx.98, HOST IP- 10.1.1.250, POLICY- UNTRUST TO DMZ "ANY" to "MIP(212.xxx.xxx.98)".
3. This made the server available from the outside to reach with the static IP 212.xxx.xxx.98.

THE PROBLEM:
1. Now i would have to create a policy from DMZ to UNTRUST which would make the server expose to internet with the same MIP IP namely 212.xxx.xxx.98. So declared the policy:
From DMZ to UNTRUST "MIP(212.xxx.xxx.98)" to "ANY" "ANY" permit log.
with this policy i am not being able to connect to the internet :-( (But i still can reach the server from outside as the UNTRUST to DMZ policy is working fine)
But if i go to ADVANCED and tick SOURCE TRANSLATION with "TO Egress IP" it goes online, but then by sending packets it takes the IP of the Untrust Interface which is 62.xxx.xxx.10 , which is noway my intent.
It should communicate to the outside world with 212.xxx.xxx.98 this address.
Do i need to give any Route or what should i do?
Please help me out, i will be ever greatful. Thanks in Advance guys for all your upcoming Helps!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back