Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on ibm server xseries 235

Status
Not open for further replies.

shopfair

Technical User
Nov 24, 2008
BB

I have a ibm server xseries, but as i tried to boot it replies that disk offline /defunct,infact i need a help on what to do or the solution to this problem, does the three disk already in the machine has a way of inserting them or this is another all together?

IT user

shopfair,

Welcome to the forum. Please list your equipment, every detail about it that you can. Also, the EXACT wording of any error you are getting and what it says in EventViewer about the error (right click My Computer=>Manage=>Event Viewer.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I'm assuming you have a ServeRaid controller in there. You should download and create the ServerRaid Manager utility CD. Then use it to boot up and "see" the drives (RAID array if applicable) and note which drives are defunct/offline.

If you don't have RAID, then you're probably toast. If you do, you can try to turn the drive back to Online or replace the bad disk after setting to Offline and removing it.

Be careful. If you don't know what you're doing, you can ruin any chance of getting your machine running and again without losing your data (if it's not already too late).

Hi,
was this machine member of a cluster ?
Which type of ServeRAID card has it (read it at bios level)

this machine had a special card (6i), in a special location
to have RAID5, or if you take out it, you can do RAID1 using
chip on board.

Or it can have a classical ServeRAID 4? in a normal slot
with strange links with the diskbackplane.

We need more informations to help you

bye
victor

I think the guy has abandoned the question since it's a month old at this point!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back