Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on IBM Raid drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkhaupt

Technical User
Dec 11, 2008
ZA
I have an IBM X Series server with 3 x 72GB 10K drives in Raid 5. I baught two new 72GB drives but found out that they are 15K spin speed. Will I be able to add them to the Raid array?

They should work fine, the only caveat being that they will be forced to run at 10K RPMs like your other drives

I wouldn't do that. I always liked to have the same rotational speed. It may not be the same model number that you bought before, but IBM will come out with EQUIVALENT part numbers that you will always be able to purchase (within a reasonable lifetime for the server).

I'd return them and get one of those equivalent FRU part numbers which you can identify on the IBM site or by calling their support.

Call me old fashioned, but your data is very important and it's a good idea to have all your disks as close as possible in terms of specs. It's also VERY important to do firmware updates on the drives since they sometimes find things that actually lead to premature failure or other problems.

Hi,
commercially speaking, NO.
But if you have already bought them, I say that they are ok.

It is not completely true that these disks will go at 10K:
this is completely true regarding size: if you put in an array disks of different size, and the controller accepts it, the size of the single member is that of the minor.

Regard speed, the operation on these disks will be completed before the others, but becouse you are using
an array card, until all disk operations are not finished
the card will not send a I/O completed to the system:

numerically speaking this is the same what itsp1965 sayd.

An alternative you can do, but it depends by what you have already on the system and from the space you need, is to build a RAID1 (REAL 15K) with the new disk you bought, and install here operating system; then rebuild or leave yor RAID 5 on the old disk, for data and an half of the paging file.

With this 2+3 configuration, you loose 1 72Mb of size,
but you gain 15-10 rpm on the OS.

ciao
vittorio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back