Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on .htaccess

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycruce

Programmer
Jun 25, 2002
US
I have been using .htaccess on a web site and have just ported the software to a new site. I install the following .htaccess file in the directory I want to protect:

AuthUserFile /home/andy/public_html/BaseDir/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Test Cordillera Conversion Site"
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST>
require vaild-user
</Limit>

The .htpasswd file is in the same directory, namely

/home/andy/public_html/BaseDir/.htpasswd

When I enter the protected directory I get the authentication prompt and enter the username and password. However, the system no longer can find the password. I checked the .htpasswd file with vi and it looks OK - I don't know how to decript the password but when I use my program to update a user's password the appropriate password in the .htpasswd file get updated.

To check what would happen I pointed AuthUserFile to a non-existant file and get the same result. SO it would appear that I would get the same behavior if somehow .htaccess was not finding the appropriate file. This makes some sense since the application worked before the port.

Is there any way to try to debug this? I feel like a blind man trying to find his way out of maze. I've looked a the .htaccess file for hours trying to see if anything is wrong and can't find anything. I've reuploaded it and re-entered it several times just to make sure there weren't some unprintable characters in the file screwing it up. I've also changed the permissions of .htaccess and .htpasswd files to 777 to make sure it's not a permission problem.

Any suggestions on where I can go from here?

Thanks

Andy Cruce

&quot;require vaild-user&quot;

Is this a typo on your post here, or is it also in your .htaccess file?

Also, are you running the same software on the old and new sites? Did you try scrapping and recreating the .htpasswd on the new server? Newposter
&quot;Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back