Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on how to upgrade ios on a 2501

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gimpo

Technical User
Jun 7, 2004
Hey guys, im a complete noob to all this so all your help would be very much appreciated.

Im trying to install a new ios on a 2501 router. I thought the xmodem command would work but I get a very polite 'what?' when i do this. Does it have to be TFTPed to the router or can it be installed through the console port (this would be the best option for me at the moment).

I have searched cisco's site, the web and this forum but with no luck.

Could someone possibly tell me or point me to a site/page which has step by step procedure for this.

Thank you in advance for your help

Kind regards
Andy

I hope you have IOS image on proper drive. ( Sorry please don not missunderstand but most experts do the small mistakes). I did try this
#xonfig t
config)#config-register 0x0
(config)#end
#reload

In rommon change the console baud to 115200 ( use confreg conmmand to do this)

reload again and in rommon change the

rommon2>xmodem -c {filename.bin}

Thank you for your response reliancetech. I given what you said a try but with no luck.

When i send the ctrl+break command the router goes into what i thought should be a rommon prompt but instead of getting rommon> i get >

I then type xmodem and i get back 'what?'

Should the 2501 router have the rommon> prompt and does it support the command xmodem?

Thank you again
Andy

Thanks again for your response.

Still no luck.

Have a look at this. This is what i get when i hit ctrl-break and then type the xmodem command.

System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(5), RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 4096 Kbytes of main memory

Abort at 0x10E7E64 (PC)
>xmodem
What?
>xmodem ?
What?
>i

as you can see there is no rommon> prompt. I guess i could do with finding out if there should be, any ideas?

Does the 2501 even support the xmodem command??

Kind regards
Andy

Telyou have change the confreg correct.

config#config-register 0x0

So no need to press ctrl-break. Just let the router boot. This should ignore onboard DRAM.

>
is not your rommon prompt. And 2501 does support Xmodem.

Yes i've changed the config-reg to 0x0 but with the same results...

I have 5x 2501's in front of me all doing the same thing.

Ill keep hunting around.

Thank you so far
Andy

Bump bump bump bump it up

Cheers mainstreet the link was very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back