Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on 'frame' weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippogriff

Technical User
May 11, 2006
US
Good day,

Recently, whenever I export to a pdf, then bring that pdf into a new document, the frame around that object is larger than the object on all sides. The frame doesnt 'fit' the object I bring in. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks!

...how did you export the pdf from indesign?

...did you have trim marks enabled? This produces a different result in placing options than from an exported pdf with/without just bleed on...

...when you place a pdf you have import options available in the place dialog, if you hold down shift key when selecting the pdf it will provide the options available under crop. The shift key is a shortcut to the tick box available in the place dialog (bottom left)...

...even if you select to crop to bounding box the resulting placed pdf (without trim marks) will still have a slightly larger frame than the object. This is available as long as you export the pdf to begin with without crop marks...

...this is the nature of it if this is what you are referring to...

...with crop marks on an exported pdf the bounding box becomes the area including the trims and so the object(s) within the PDF page are no longer the bounding area...

Andrew

...having a slightly larger frame than the object is particularly true if, for example, you have a square (with a stroke applied), export to pdf without trims...

...if your square doesnt have a stroke applied, the bounding area is then the actual size of the original square (exported without trims)...

Andrew

...also, it takes into account where on the page the stroked objects are upon export to pdf without marks and bleeds etc...

...if on the very top left of the page then your box with a stroke will be on the top left of the bounding box, it will still have a larger frame than the object around the other two sides...

...a bit annoying really...

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

1. I exported using the 'export' option under 'file'. I picked 'press quality' which I beleive is the highest quality.

2. I didnt find anything called "trim marks". I found "crop marks" in the pdf export window. Is that what you mean? Nothing in the Marks and Bleed panel is checked.

3. Interesting about the place dialog box. Looks like it's set to "Crop to: Bounding Box". There is a preview image area here and I can see that the image I'm bringing in has frames outside of the image. Perhaps this is happening when I create the image somehow.

One thing I'm noticing after placing rectangular images for the last 15 minutes is that the frame size changes when I bring in different objects. For one thing the frame is never porportional around my rectangular images. Sometimes the frame will be 10 times as far away from the image on one side than the other three. and that will change to another side the next time I place a new object.

Also, if I place image #1, then place image #2, and then go back to placing image #1 again, the frame is different from the first time I placed it. Again, it's not porportional to my rectangular image.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andrew, I typed my second post before I read your 2nd and 3rd post. I'm going to read those now.

...you may also have redundant filled objects being included in the pdf, filled with white for example...

Andrew

All the images that I have been placing, I have created in a new document. There shouldnt be redundant filled objects in every one of the images I'm placing.

Thanks for your answers. Do you have any other ideas?

One thing I noticed, is that it only does this with the pdf files I create. Seems to work fine with jpgs and tifs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back