Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on Building a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

godcom

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2001
JP
I have recently taken over support for a small business that has two offices that are not connected in any way. They want to connect the two sites so that they can use one database etc. Both sites are using ADSL and I was thinking of a VPN. However I'm unsure where to start. Could someone point me in the right direction?

thanks

the best way is to setup a site to site vpn. quoted from
How to Setup A Site-to-Site VPN Connection

To setup a Site-to-Site VPN Connection , you may need to configure two windows servers for the Answering and Calling Routers. Here are the steps:

1. Run RRAS, on Configuration page, select LAN routing.
2. Configure VPN on the Answering Router.
3. Configure the Demand-dial Interface on the Answering Router.
4. Configure VPN on the Calling Router.
5. Configure the Demand-dial Interface on the Calling Router.
6. Confirm the Remote Access Policy Configuration on the Answering and Calling Routers.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Have a look at the urls here for step by step instructions on Windows VPN

Thanks for the replies,

next question, these two offices are workgroups with no servers. One runs a combination of Win2000 pro and Win Me and the other runs one XP pro and one XP home. I don't really want to have to setup a domain and put in a new server (i don't think that they will go for the cost). Will this config work or do i have to upgrade.

thanks

Steve

A workgroup setup is fine, just get two routers that do their own VPN (like the FVS318) and make sure the two offices are on different IP address schemes (but in the SAME workgroup.)

However the XP Home is limited to a network of five machines and could cause problems. Also Win ME is notoriously unstable, especially in networks. So for those two machines I'd suggest spending the $ and upgrading.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back