Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP - No Power At All

Status
Not open for further replies.

herring367

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
US
I have already posted one thread about this PC I'm working on. I used a POST card and got a C6 code. The PC wouldn't boot but would give a single long beep. The BIOS beep codes said to "re-enable cache in bootstrap processor." I was waiting to find out how to do that and did the following in the meantime....

I went in and made sure all the cables and cards were tight. I changed out the RAM with good RAM. Now the fans won't even boot up. I put the old RAM back in. Now the power light comes on but nothing else. YIKES! And I have to unplug the PC to make the power light go off. I held it for over 10 seconds and it wouldn't go off.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?

This PC has an ECS P5SS ME processor with AMD motherboard. The video and sound cards are built in chips. It came with 32meg of RAM but apparently someone added a second 128meg of RAM.

I have searched here and other places on the internet and someone elsewhere said to pop out the battery for 10 seconds. DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?

One more note. I do not want to spend too much time on this PC because it may be worth it just to find my friend another used PC that works. But I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas!

ANOTHER NOTE: This friend had someone else look at this PC while it would still boot up and all he said that all he did was defrag it. It was getting an IE error message at that time.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!

Start step by step.
Disconnect the Harddisk(s) Cd and floppy.
Reseat your RAM
Power on. Still beep?

PS: when you take out the CMOS battery for a minute or 2, it will clear the BIOS and put it to it's defaults. If the answer is here, mark it, others can benefit from it too.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back