Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help - No boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
Went from Win98SE to installing Win2K Pro. W2K loaded up good to a point where for some reason it could not find files anymore and could not find the CD anymore. Just kept looking for files and allowing me to bypass them. I cancelled and rebooted. Nothing came up.

Since then it does not seam to even make it to drive A:. I changed the vedio card and no luck as I thought maybe it was this. Tried a couple old HD's with no success. Nothing comes up on the screen. Never makes it to the BIOS or shows it is reading anything. Like I say the lightfor srive A: is never on. The HD makes some swirling noise and that is it.

I feel that if I could get to drive a: at least I could start over again with a boot up disk. No joy.

Suggestions?? Help??

Redneck...

Sounds like there are possible multiple issues. As for trying to start over again - have you tried booting directly from the Win2K CD? Change the first boot device to your CD rom, then boot with the cd in the drive.

Might wanna check your power supply to see if it's still good. if no boot, may be a bad or missing "power good" signal or maybe just unplug the reset button.

Redneck,
Have you formatted your hard drive? And if so, what format did you use?

Regards.

Its very possible your mobo Bios is corrupted. Try clearing your Bios.
Cheers Zero Mistakes = Zero Experience
And Boy do I have experience !

Get rid of Win2000,Upgrade to XP.2000 has way too many issues.It was designed for business and networking not for home computing.Win 98SE would also have been a better choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back