Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP - NIC unable to get IP dynamically

Status
Not open for further replies.

roloexe

MIS
Oct 12, 2001
US
Does anyone know or have any ideas as to why 2 of my new workstations cannot get IP addresses dynamically. If I assign a static IP address it gets on the network just fine but when DHCP is enabled an IP address is not established. I've tried different NICs and the same problem persists. Also the rest of my computers in the office gets an IP just fine. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I assume that you have covered this already, but are you configuring the TCP/IP properties of the NIC to obtain an IP address dynamically?

Yes, I have configured the NIC to obtain TCP/IP Dynamcally. And heres the thing, When I asign a static IP theres no problem seeing the network. Also, my other workststions are getting Ip addresses dynamically with no problem. I've just ad problems with the past 2 workstations. My OS is W2k. Thanks again for the help guys!

Are you getting the "DHCP Server Unavailable" message or are they not even trying?

When I restart and I do an ipconfig, IP address was not issued. the only error meassages I get are in the even viewer indicating that the "The IP address lease 0.0.0.0 for the network card with network address 0007e97a3b8e has been denied by DHCP 0.0.0.0 (the DHCP server sent a DHCPNACK message)". Does anyone know what this means? Thanks again.

DHCPNACK means the DHCP server responded with a negative acknowledgement to the NIC's request to obtain an ip address. Basically, the NIC sent out a request for an ip address and the DHCP server responded with a negative acknowledgement, (did not provide an ip address). Usually this happens when the client is trying to obtain the same IP address it had before and that particular ip address has been given to another client or if the client computer has been moved to a different subnet. Try going to a command prompt and typing ipconfig /release then after that command completes, type ipconfig /renew.

Thanks Anthony, if its worth anything I did that several times, it just came back with something like no ip to release, when I typed ipconfig /release. Anyway, I just re-booted my DHCP server (my firewall)this morning and the 2 new workstations are able to get IP addresses dynamically. This was the first thing I should have tried. Go figure. Thanks guys for the help! LETS GO NETS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back