Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help needed with understanding offline files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stduc

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
Here's the scenario.

I am running Windows 7 and my SO is running XP. The XP machine has a shared folder with sub folders. The Windows 7 machine has offline files enabled for one of those subfolders.

Yesterday, whilst the XP machine was powered off I updated a file in that subfolder and shut down. Later on the same file was updated on the XP machine. The Windows 7 machine was then restarted.

There was no notifications of a sync conflict (shouldn't there have been?). Each machine only saw their own version of the file. It was only when I right clicked on that file and selected sync that a conflict was reported.

What worries me is what happens if we don't realise what we have done? We want to be notified about any conflicts straight away.

We used to use briefcase before windows 7 messed it up and then we tried synctoy but that doesn't cater for conflicts at all. Briefcase was perfect for our requirements of keeping a few folders synced between our 3 machines - but now 2 of them are on win 7 it doesn't work anymore if there are more than a few files in a folder. Synctoy doesn't notice if both files (local & remote) have been updated since the last sync and offline files seems to lose the plot occasionally and decide the other machine is offline or not reachable or as above - notices both files have been updated but doesn't notify you - it simply doesn't sync them!

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

stduc,
If a change was made to the file on the XP machine BEFORE the Win7 machine was rebooted, then the synching process which is initiated during logoff should have caught this while the Win7 box was being restarted. It's possible the user who rebooted the Win7 box ignored the error and just OK'd through it.

Also do you have Offline Files set to sync when logging in? By default it is only set to sync when you log off. Definitely make sure that both options aren't disabled.

~cdogg
"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Theoretically, Windows 7 should sync in the background regularly with the "server" but this offline files location is not on a server, so I'm not sure if that's affecting the behavior.

In any case, it can't hurt to check the group policy value mentioned on this page:

Look for Configure Background Sync and make sure it is set to Enabled.

I have had the same problem and I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that if you are sharing your files from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 or better your problem will go away by itself. It has to do with BITS and compatibility between XP, or 2000 Server and Windows 7.

I researched this thoroughly and everyone will tell you you're not using Offline files right or some issue about using some third party software (which you knew already), the reason you are posing the question is because you want Windows to work not a 3rd party work around.

The bad news is you have to either buy Server 2008 or upgrade all the machine sharing peer to peer to Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back