Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help needed with new AD Site and D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerDust

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2002
CA
Hi,

Can someone please help me? I want to add a new server to our Domain, this new server will be located in another city - I have never done this before and need some guidance! I believe that I am supposed to add a site to our current domain controller correct? First, let me give more info on my situation so it's easier to understand. Currently we have one Win2K sp4 domain controller called TDKDC1 for the domain TrendDrugs. It is running active directory and is running in Native mode. It has DHCP, DNS and WINS running as well. The current setup works great with no problems. This Doman controller is in Location A, I want to add another Win2K sp4 Domain Controller in Location B but am not sure how to go about it. This new Server is freshly installed and doesn't have DNS, DHCP or WINS running on it. I DO want it to provide DHCP addresses for Location B. It has not yet been joined to the TrentDrugs domain - it is still part of a workgroup. Location A and Location B are connected via Cisco PIX firewalls with a VPN over a T1 line. The VPN between the two locations allows all tcp and udp traffic to flow between them without restriction. Can someone please give me a step by step procedure on how to add this secondary Domain Controller? I currently have both servers in Location A - is it possible to setup the new server here BEFORE sending to Location B?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if I can really help you out but it sounds like you should be able to dcpromo the new server and select the option for joining a existing Domain. Make sure the DNS for the new server points to the old server's DNS. In windows 2000 almost all communication is done through TCP and you need correct DNS settings for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back