Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help needed to make a round picture..... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebird4027

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
GB
Please could someone help me? I have a picture of a face which i have put a frame round and I would like to put this picture into the lens of a magnifying glass but I can't get the background to be round as well (its square and is 'hanging' over the edges of the magnifying glass)

Could you let me know either how to make the background transparent rather than white (can't make head nor tail of the help on Paint Shop Pro)or to make the 'canvas' round.

Thanks in advance and I hope this makes sense!
Sarah

The canvas cannot be round. You can use the Select tool, and create a round selection around the picture, and then invert it, and delete the outside of the circle, or with the same selection tool, cut the contests of a circle an paste it into a new image with a transparent background.

First you would need to have a transparent canvas to start with, You can do this from the File menu->New. just set the background to transparent.

Then using the Selection tool, create a round selection around the picture where you want it to be. And Cut it out. Paste it into the transparent image you created earlier.. And then using the export tool export it as either a GIF or a PNG, those are the formats that support transparency.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

thanks for that - you must think I'm really stuipid but I still don't get it!

I've inverted the picture but then I've ended up with a pale blue background rather than a transparent background. and then when i try to place the magnifying glass over the top that ends up really small....

This is driving me mad!

Lets do it by steps:

1. Create New File, with Transparent Background:
File->New select from the New Image dialog, the radio button that reads Transparent Background. Set the height and width of the new image to somewhat closely match the one your gonna be copying. Then click o.k. (in default configuration, PSP represents a transparent background with a gird of white and gray squares, like a checkerboard).

2. From your original picture, create the round selection around the portion of the image you want. The go to Edit->Copy, or Cntrl+C.

3. Paste into transparent background image, using either Paste as new layer from the Edit menu, or by pressing Cntrl+L.

And you should now have your round image with a transparent background.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I came to this forum and joined just to get this information! But, I am having a hard time figuring out something that I am sure is so simple. Where is the circle selection tool? What I want is to make a pic have rounded corners. I have been using the pre-set shape tool, but this doesn't seem to work. How can I get my pic to have rounded corners or at least look like it does with a transparent background. Thanks so much for any help!

Rounded corners, as in mostly rectangular but round at the corners?

As i said use the Selection tool. depending on the version of PSP you are using it will look a little different.

Usually looks like this:

seltool.jpg

Choose the One that says selection, (Not Freehand) and then on the tool bar above locate the drop down and look for Rounded Rectangle. You can then create a rounded rectangle around your picture, invert the selection and delete the extra stuff.

Oh, my gosh, thank you so much. I have been trying to do this off and on for months!! Thanks again!!

Glad i could help.

Very useful.
It took me a while to realise that the option to select rounded rectangle is on the small drop down Tool Options Palette while the square selector is selected.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back