Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP NEEDED ON SECURITY FOR DATABASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

luismun

Programmer
Sep 10, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a question regarding security. I don't want the users with a given password to be able to type values directly to the tables. My program works as follows:

I have a *.mdb file with tables only (back-end). I access the data using an interface (front-end) in MSAccess 2000 and link the tables. My problem is that users can type values directly to the tables (modify data) instead of using the forms. How can I hide tables/queries or prevent the user from updating the values directly? I was able to hide modules, reports, forms and macros by assigning passwords using workgroup level security. I also use an MDE file to prevent the user from modifying the code in VB. However, my only problem now is how to prevent the user from updating values directly into the tables/queries.

Thanks!
Luis.

A couple of options

1) You can make the tables all hidden tables to stop them being visible in the db window, or even rename them as "system" files to make them invisible to the users. If you are using custom menus, make sure the Tools|Options menu item is not available.

2) Hide the db window and disable the Access special keys so that the users cannot get to the db window at all. You would need to programmatically enable the window when you need to use it yourself.

Just a couple of ideas

HTH
Lightning

Thanks lightning, I will try option 2.

Rgds,

Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back