Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help needed in mapping drives across domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayimic

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2006
AU
I have 2 domains in place with trust relationship established. Users listed in domain B can log onto the domain A network from computers in domain A.

How can i make these users to map to drives on domain A when loging on from these computers. (i know i can use the login script for the mapping provided the users have accounts set up in domain A but i dont want to create a duplicate account)

Just map the drives as usual, using the credentials from the target domain as follows:

domain\username

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Thanks for this. But it seems i did not make myself clear enough.

I have a main campus Student Domain on which all students are registered. I have set up a departmental lab with its own domain (i dont want to keep another record of the students on this lab domain for management reasons)

I have established a trust between the two domains.

I want students to be able to log onto the lab computers using their Student account residing on the Student Domain. (this now works after the trust has been established).

I want these students to be able to access some shared facilities on the Lab domain. Where do i put a login script for this considering the fact that the student is not logging onto the lab domain?

Cheers

Well first off you will need to give permissions to those users on this departmental lab. When selecting persmission, you can change the domain name to point to the trusting domain and then select the users. From there you simply map a drive like any other.

FROGGYJ
A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

If the students are logging into the "student domain" and you want to run logon scripts to map drives to the "lab domain", then you will need to configure the logon script policies in the student domain.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Thank you all for your contributions.

I do know i could as well put the login script on the Student domain, but the snag there is that i dont have the rights to access the student profiles on the Student domain due to the sensitive data it holds. All that i have is a full control of the lab domain.

Further suggestions on this shall be well appreciated.

Thanks

Why do you think you need to have access to student profiles to run a login script?

Put the login script in AD using a GPO. refer to my FAQ for more assistance on that. faq329-5798

From the sound of this, I think you would have been a lot better off using a single domain and simply creating a StudentLab OU in AD to seperate these computers. Your Administration would certainly be a lot simpler for you.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back