Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help needed for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

penduko

Technical User
Sep 10, 2002
PH
Hi,

Im a newbie with regards to Cisco, I have 2 Cisco 1700 series right now and want to do the following:

1. Connect the two cisco routers via serial interface.
2. We plan to use Private IP addresses for both routers.

With regards to the above information, I just want to ask the following:

1. Is the above setup possible? if so, where can I get a sample config for both routers.

2. If we want to extend the routers, say 1 will be housed in my place and the other 1 is in my friend's place, can we apply for a local loop from a telco provider from my place to my friend's? Can we apply for AMI/D4 channelized local loop? Can we use the existing setup we used when we configure the routers to communicate via its serial interface?

thanks and more power.

Thats exactly what you need to do.. Contact your Telco to see what they have to offer in relation to what you can afford.

Connecting the routers by serial connection would mean that you would need a dedicate lease line (eg T1 or frame relay)or whatever other service is available from your Telco.

It all depends on what you can afford.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, what about the configuration of the 1700s? Where can I get a sample config for the two routers to make them communicate?

Thanks

It's quiet simple:

On Router1

interface Serial0/1
bandwidth 2048
ip address 10.10.83.1 255.255.255.0
bandwidth 2048

On Router2

interface Serial0/1
bandwidth 2048
ip address 10.10.83.2 255.255.255.0
bandwidth 2048

Of course this depends on what service you get from ythe ISP and what avaiable interfaces you have on the router.

For example if you get frame relay you config could look like this:

interface FastEthernet0
ip address 209.27.xx.xxx 255.255.255.xxx
speed 100
full-duplex
!
interface Serial0
bandwidth 128
no ip address
ip access-group 110 in
ip access-group 110 out
encapsulation frame-relay
no fair-queue
frame-relay lmi-type ansi
!
interface Serial0.16 point-to-point
bandwidth 512
ip unnumbered FastEthernet0
frame-relay interface-dlci 16 IETF
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0.16
no ip http server

This should give you some idea of what may be involved..But like I said it depends on what service you get.

Hi,

Thank you for the information, our 1700s have WIN T1-DSU.

I just want to ask the following scenario if they are possible.

1. Is it okay if I create a straight RJ45 cable to connect the 2 routers via their DSU's?

<Router A><DSU><------cable------><DSU><Router B>

2. How do I configure the line coding and signalling on the routers? (e.g. B8ZS ESF)

3. If the above setup is possible, using your sample config for router A & B above, can I ping the router A from Router B and Vice Versa using its ethernet port?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm really a newbie with regards to Cisco Routers.

The csu/dsu is used for leased lines like T1 or Frame -relay. Your carrier would have to provide you some kind of service you would not be able to communicate with the routers until you get the service which is most the time expensive for the average home user. Line coding is usually provided by the telco or you can tell them what you want it to be. What is it you are wanting to do. have you looked at dsl?

If you just want to practice with configuring the routers the pinout for making a back to back cable to connect two t1 cards is:

1 4
2 5
4 1
5 2

Make this cable and your inerfaces will talk to each other.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, i'm trying to setup a 'managed IP' (term I got from friend). I believe this is possible with two routers connected to each other on their T1 interface. I'd also like to know if they will communicate using private IP address (say 192.168.x.x) and be able to ping/telnet 1 router from the other.

If this is possible, i'd also like to know if i can extend the two routers (without changing any configuration) if i sign up for a T1 local loop (say from NY to NJ) from a telco provider.

Thanks for your responses and really pardon my ignorance.

thanks joamon for the wiring tips.... I have crimped one cable for based on the information you mentioned. thanks.

thanks for the reply maverick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back