Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Needed - Copying Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlc1974

Programmer
Jan 5, 2004
GB
I am dialing my home computer via vpn from the office. I need to transfer files from the office to my home computer but I can't map a drive and there is no transfer option. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Check the following link, it should give you some ideas.

Also, let me know how you have your home PC setup to handle incoming calls. You could save some time and simply burn the files onto a CD and take it home. Or you can inquire if your company has an FTP site you can use to transfer your files. Furthermore, you could try it the other way around. VPN into your company from your home PC, connect to a shared drive and retrieve your files from their.

It is quite possible, and shouldn't be to difficult.

First, it sounds like you are able to make the connection and all is well there. Is that correct?

Next, why are you not able to map drives? Is it a policy matter, or are you saying you can't figure out how? If this is an ongoing thing, it might be nice to get that working. If it is a policy, then not worth the effort, but if you simply need some direction it might be the way to go.

Finally, you don't really need to map the drives. You can open a remote folder without a real drive mapping and drag and drop files.

First, find the VPN server IP address for the VPN connection. This is not the same as the address that you use to make the connection. Start the VPN connection. Once connected, right click on the icon that you clicked on to make the connection and select 'status'. This should open a new box with some information. Click on the details tab. There should be two addresses, one for the client and one for the server. Make a note of the address for the server.

Now click on Start, then Run. You should get a box with a place to type a command. Type \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx replacing the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the VPN server address you noted earlier. Note that the \\ is the backslash, not the regular slash that shares a key with the question mark.

If all is well, a new folder will open showing the shared resources on your computer at home. You may have to enter your user name and password, if so remember to use the ones that you use on your home computer, not the one for work.

You should be able to open the shared resources and drag files between computers. Keep in mind that the connection will be slow compared to a local connection, so large files could take some time to copy.

There are any number of other problems you could run into. Post back as many details as you can and we'll see if we can get it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back