Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!! My screen has a VERY purple tint to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suthern

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
I've tried other monitors and it looks fine. a couple weeks ago, both the computer and monitor were working fine, than we hooked it up to monitor # 2, and it still worked fine. Then we hooked it bac up to monitor # 1, and all the white has changed to purple, even in dos and startup!

Any ideahs? Its a Dell Monitor.... or Bell......

Thanx,
Nate
P.S. I'm working off a differnt computer.

Is the monitor brand new or used? If it's a used one, it could be a faulty video cable, try twisting it a little or moving it from side to side from where it comes out of the monitor to see if it changes colors.

jup i would go for a dodgy cable /connections to it. get you soldering iron out ! If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

purple screen reminds of sticking magnet to tv and it going purple in that area. Have you tried degausing it yet from the screen options. Maybe there are some electro-magnetic fields around the monitor unshielded speakers etc TV etc.

Chris

Chrissirhc is likely right. As a service tech I see it all the time. Actually, just turning a monitor around and leaving it in a new position for a while can change the stray magnetism in the shadow mask due to stray fields including the earths. Degauss it using the button on the front, wait 20 minutes and hit the button again. It may take several shots. If you dont have a degauss button you will have to let the built-in, only on start-up, circuit do it for you.

Actually, on second thought, you just may have lost the green signal, or the green gun, or its drive circuits have gone bad. The color management and gamma correct may be wrong in the monitor/graphics-adapter properties section, with windows confusing the two monitors. like the others said, try a new cable first.

I have had exactly the same problem on my sons PC recently. To rectify the problem, I waggled the cable at the monitors end, and the other colours all came in.

cant be anything to do with gamma settings in windows as confirmed purple haze in DOS also. confirm monitor fault ( 100% is i think) by getting a loan of another VDU then pinpoint or shellout !!

Rob If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Yeah, you're right Rob, must be hardware. Likely the cable or VDU. If the monitor doesn't just sleep with no signal, you could always just crank up the brightness and contrast to see the raster and you would know for sure, the raster would be purplish instead of whitish grey like it should be.

I"m sorry, but this monitor is an old one, and I don't know what a raster is. I tried turning off the electrical devices that were near it, no change. wiggling cables has no effect. The cable goes into the monitor, its not a plug into-monitor. The power cable goes to the power strip, I haven't tried other power cables, although I don't see how that could be a COLOR problem. The colors look fine on another monitor. The monitor is old, DELL, but its not old enough to have manual settings on the back. I will fiddle around with another OLD MONITOR that has settings on the back, and get it to work. When I tried the OLD MONITOR, the screen was split horizontly into many stipes. I've run across that before with incorrect 16 bit 33 bit settings... mabey I'll get the really old one to work. Thank you all for the replies.

Nate

You possibly coud get a TV repair shop to degauss the set. There is a pinhole apeture behind the screen that directs the indivual beams to the correct dot to give the color and when this screen gets magnetized you can get this. Normally more of a tint than solid. But the same TV shop can probably help if it is a gun or circuit that is blown. but don't spend much money on 14" or 15" monitor repair. They go for under $50.00 in the used market.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Sorry I should have explained, the raster is the scanning pattern the monitor makes to create a picture. Basically, if you turn up the brightness and contrast when there is no signal, you will see a faint greyish-white pattern that covers the whole screen, this is the raster. Seeing that without a purplish tint would tell you the monitor is capable of producing the correct colors, and the signal coming into the monitor is where the problem likely is. The only problem is that some monitors go dormant without an input signal, that is they do not produce a raster. These ones usually blink the power LED orange to tell you that they are on, but are in standby. Like Ed said though, used monitors are cheap, I just bought a really nice IBM G50 for $40 at a local used PC shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back