Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help moving exchange 2000 to new hardware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2PCS

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2003
US
My exchange 2000/w2k server is on its death bed. I have a new w2k server ready to go. The exchange 2k box is the GC server but I have 4 DC's so this is not an issue to move this.

What is the best path to take to move all mailboxes to the new server then take old server offline?

Thanks for any help!

hey I am in same boat. Just started loading w2k server on new box. What next? we should talk each other thru this as we go. My plan is since old server is still working there should be a way to migrate exchange over. Did you already load exchange on the new server yet?

Dan Crandell

I did, and tried a mailbox move. But can not access the mailboxes on the new server via Outlook. I am sure that there is some small thing I am missing.

Microsoft should have included a feature to do this. It is not that weird to have to replace hardware....

Let me know if you find anything....

Scott

Multiple FAQ's on this in the forum FAQ list.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

After overlooking the Migration Wizard's exchange to exchange option, I am going to give it a try.

yes, I was looking at that too. Did you install exchange on the new server? mirroring the old one right? and then use migration tool.

Dan Crandell

Yes. I am going to try to tool. Let me know if you get it done before I.

Thanks!

Guys, I had to move an EX2k to a new machine. (sbs2000 to sbs2000)

The new server was set up exactly the same as the old one (FQDN, netbios domain name, IP address, machine name etc....) and kept off the network.

Then the exch services were stopped on the old server and then the PRIV files and the PUB files were (C:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata is default path) copied to to another machine.

The exch services were then restarted and the old server removed from the network.

Next I placed the new server on to network, stopped the exch services, renamed the PRIV and PUB files, copied over the old ones from other machine.

I cant remember if I restarted the services immediately after that or not but the following step was also neccessary:

Go to PROPERTIES of the MAILBOX STORE and click on the DATABASE tab, check the box that says THIS DATABASE CAN BE OVERWRITTEN BY A RESTORE.

The same is neccessary for the PUBLIC FOLDER STORE.

I was pretty happy with the result. One thing I did before I copied over the database files was to backup the info store on the old server to commit all the logs. (

Hope this helps and that I haven't left anything out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back