Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

*** HELP!! - Microsoft Office 2003 Default Profile ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToaDz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2003
AU
Hi,

Hope someone can help me regarding default Microsoft Office 2003 Profiles.

We have a workstation in one of our common rooms running Windows XP Professional with Microsoft Office 2003 Standard and is attached to our corporate domain.

We would like to setup a 'default' profile with a standard Desktop, Start menu shortcuts, icons etc.

Our aim is to have users logging on to this workstation using their own domain usernames so they can access their mapped network drives etc.

I have setup the default profile successfully. This is what I've done and it works fine:

- Logged in with a test account and configured the Desktop, wallpaper, icons, installed network printers etc.
- Logged off the test account and logged in as a Local Admin
- Via Control Panel | System | Advanced tab | User Profiles, I have copied the 'test' profile to "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User" and permitted "Everyone"
- I've tested it and all is working OK

Now here is my problem...

Each time a domain user logs on (has not logged in before) and opens a Microsoft Office 2003 application such as Word, a 'Windows Installer' dialog box appears saying "Preparing to install..." Another dialog box appears saying "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office 2003". After all this, a 'User Name' dialog box appears asking for the users Name and Initials.

How can I configure this machine to NOT go through all these Office 2003 processes when a user (who has not logged in before) logs in?

I just want users to be able to login, open an Office 2003 application without having to go through all these processes. We have over 70 staff, so logging in as them, one by one, would be a tough job.

Alternatively, I think I need to find a way to possibly disable Windows profilling totally so it can function like Windows 98? But with the machine being able to still login to the domain to access network services including mapped network drives etc.

I have searched endlessly through Microsoft TechNet, Google and other Microsoft Office forums without much luck.

Help!

Cheers

ToaDz - From what I understand, what you're attempting needs to be setup from install (actually the Custom Install Wizard for Office 2003 or ResourceKit) where you can override per/user settings - either by program, or the entire suite.

I know you've searched these already, but take another look at this particular TechNet doc. About ¾ of the way down the page, look for heading "Creating Security Settings" which details those initial custom settings which need to be set. The link states OfficeXP but most options are the same in the 2003 version as well.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back