Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! MICROS 3700 questions - Interview questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianKnDallas

Technical User
Jan 13, 2015
US
I have some questions for RES 3700 based questions I need decent answers for. I'm trying to get a new gig and I'm very rusty on my RES 3700. Help

1.Menu item prices are changing after running StoreSetup.exe. Ex) a replacement server has been configured for a location. Item A and B have been set to $3.99, but after running StoreSetup.exe, the price changes to $5.99.

2.When running a report from Micros Autosequence report application, we are seeing a Gray screen and the report is not displayed.

3. A house account button which is linked to a specific tender media is giving “Tender media not found” error. How would you tackle the issue? *Assume we are not able to resolve the issue by redeploying a packet from EM*.

4. POS is freezing/ slow.

5. Intermittently, when you select a menu item requiring a condiment choice such as a Protein Drink, the next screen directly goes to the Pay screen instead of the condiment selection screen.

6.ISL errors are prompting on the workstations when checking out.

7. Would you ever format the Micros Drive on the server as part of a troubleshooting? If so, why and how would you recover if it went wrong.

Ill give this a go for you.....

1.Menu item prices are changing after running StoreSetup.exe. Ex) a replacement server has been configured for a location. Item A and B have been set to $3.99, but after running StoreSetup.exe, the price changes to $5.99.

The prices being controlled by EM. The menu items must not be set up to be a locally controlled field. Thus any local changes are being over ridden by them EM package which must have 5.99 as the item price. This is done in the UTCConfig application on EM.

2.When running a report from Micros Autosequence report application, we are seeing a Gray screen and the report is not displayed.

I would ask if the report was working in the past. If so there is a good chance there there is some service not running. Micros has an Auto service start stop that can be finicky.

3. A house account button which is linked to a specific tender media is giving “Tender media not found” error. How would you tackle the issue? *Assume we are not able to resolve the issue by redeploying a packet from EM*.

This is tricky as there is a lot up to interpretation. I suspect since they you are asking not to solve the problem with a packet from EM the core problem is the touch screen button is linked to a tender that has been created in Em but not pushed to the site thus the button referencing a tender that the store has no record of. regardless that's a silly way to set up payments in my opinion. Its also possible the tender is not configured as a payment, not active, not within an effective range, not set up to be available for the active menu level or dining time, any number of those would prompt the error. So i suppose my answer would be to look at the settings of the tender amd 1 make sure it exists, and 2 make sure its configured properly, if its not in existence and the touchscreen button is referencing a tender that only exists in EM you do NOT create the record locally so it matches EM. that will mess with SQL database lines and could cause your next package to fail....

4. POS is freezing/ slow.

Reboot that bitch. :) Doesn't that fix everything ? I suppose it could be worth wile to ask what specifically is acting slow if its a function that relies on network traffic adjust your answer accordingly. packet loss, latency, from bad cabeling or switches. if its the touch screen or something stick with a reboot.

5. Intermittently, when you select a menu item requiring a condiment choice such as a Protein Drink, the next screen directly goes to the Pay screen instead of the condiment selection screen.

Edit #3? I didnt see the word "Intermittently" let me think about this and get back to you.

The condiment groups is not set up as a "required condiment" for that item. I would really question why the following screen is the pay screen also? it should still be the order entry screen ready for more menu items to be input...

6.ISL errors are prompting on the workstations when checking out.

Im not great at ISL errors So dont quote me on this but possibly a tender is referencing an interface that has bad programming like gift cards ?

7. Would you ever format the Micros Drive on the server as part of a troubleshooting? If so, why and how would you recover if it went wrong.

Someone else would have to answer this. I sure hope you have daily database backups if you find a reason to format the drive. I dont know why you would but thats what daily backups are for.

Sorry on the last 2 i couldn't do better...

Edit a lot of technical interviews are more about asking questions to gather info before you jump into solutions like i have. im assuming that going to be part of your interview but these are my reasonable answers with out gathering additional data

Anybody have any great links on the documentation on RES 3700 configuration/setup. I need to study how to install, and basic database construction of a new install. Daily operations are not really a necessity here.

Wildbar any thoughts on that intermittent condiment pay screen routing question ?

I would think a touchscreen key programmed incorrectly, or a condiment group setup wrong or an extra box checked somewhere like minmax. Would need to look at each step to see where it breaks.

Regarding point 2, grey screen when running autoseq reports, try this:

1. Kill the Autoseqserv.exe from taskmanager
2. run - cmd - iisreset
3. in services:
-restart Micros autoseq service, Micros remoting service, world wide web publishing service
4. test the report

If this does not work try ending the process reportexporter in task manager

RE #5,

Assuming that we're talking about any menu item requiring any particular forced mod:
-Touchscreen style may be incorrectly linked to condiment group
-Touchscreen template may be incorrectly linked to the style
-Condiment is set up to allow for pass-through/placeholders and Touchscreen designer has SLU button linked to "next" pay screen

That's what I'd initially start poking into, then more complicated things like macros/smart keys/calling sim from there if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back