Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help me with cookie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovelyAngel

Programmer
Mar 17, 2002
GB
I am working on a website, can anyone tell me what a website should do if a user logs in?
Please suggest me some aspects of session and cookie. It would be nice if you can give me some source ;)

Thank you guys.

When you log in you should have access to all parts of the site that your access allows, you should never be asked to login a second time *unless* you are excessively idle and have been logged out by the system.

no protected content should ever be directly bookmarkable or linkable in such a way that the login controls are bypassed.

Once a user has correctly logged in they should have available links an content to which they are priviledged ONLY.

Default stuff like the home page should always be included.

Normally is you use sessions and store session data in a databsase for the duration of the user visit you can then create the user menus from the entries against that user in the database for their granted content.

Authentication using a database is very easy to set upo and very flexible in regards to content.also you can store user preferences like background color and so on.

See what Sleipnir214 said.

also related are :
and

There is more to read at webmonkey ( - a lycos site but this is the quick way in)

has a good tutorial as well I believe. ***************************************
Party on, dudes!
[cannon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back