Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP ME PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwardjcutler

Programmer
Apr 3, 2004
GB
Hi

I've got a computer. Dell. When I turn it on it takes about 4-5 mins to detect the Hard Drive. If i unplug the hard drive It boots fast but says no boot devices found, so when i plug it back in, it is really slow. Ive updated the bios but still no help. Anyone help speed it up, how can i speed it up? Please help

Kind Regards

Edward J Cutler

Edward - background please. Presume this machine hasn't always been like this - when did this behaviour start/any hardware/software changes to machine around this time?

Have you checked the physical connections are ok?

Have you run drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the disk (usually on their website)?

Could be a problem with the auto detection, have you tried putting the manual settings in for the drive into the bios. You do know you can call Dell and they will help you with that info.

John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

if you can boot backup could be drive is going bad as well. But try a new cable as suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back