Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP ME Please !!! Net Send is Scary to users 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfear

Technical User
Feb 9, 2001
US
Our network with many many users. People will netsend the entire network saying thinks like reboot and people will actually do it. How do I stop net send?? They also dont have access to the cmd prompt so they write bat files in notepad or word. I cant block all bat files cause I need their log in script to work. Please someone help !!!!!!!! :(

You can stop the messanger service on the machines. This will stop all messages.
You can find this in Admin Tools then go to services on the machines you would like to stop the messages from coming in on, or maybe you know who is sending the messages and disable the messanger service. Hope this helps.

Add this to the logon script:

net stop messenger

Everyone who logs into the network will have the messenger service stopped.

In addition:

Establish rules for acceptable network use, have management approve them, and enforce them. Anybody who did that more than once (maybe just once) on my network would get fired. Marc Creviere

We see the the thing is since they are just in the users group they dont have permission to start and stop services so I cant just add net stop messanger to their log on script. Also there is far too many machines to go one by one and stop the service. Please help :( Thanks for the posts so far.

I believe coolclark meant that YOU should put that in the users profiles tab in active directory. When the user logs on, net send will stop, and the user can't use it any more. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

We did that but the group doesnt have rights to stop and start that service so even though I put that in the logon script HE still runs it when the script loads. Please help

Make the users members of the LOCAL admin group while logged onto the machines, not the domain. This will allow them rites on the local machine. Had this problem this morning. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Well see our network has over 6k users so we dont want to go one by one. But we need to stop them from running net send. Please help

Best bet is go back to FilthPigs idea.
Establish rules for acceptable network use, have management approve them, and enforce them. Anybody who did that more than once (maybe just once) on my network would get fired You need a policy for what are acceptible web sites and such anyway. Good luck. FilthPig, here's a star for ya. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

See That wont work we are a PRO BONO Org so there is no firing there needs to be some tech solution out there to fix this problem. Please help!!!!!

If you have AD, then can't you use a logon script that runs when the machine is booted instead of when the user logs on? Run the 'net stop messenger' command in a logon script based on when the computer boots.

I dont understand how I can run that command?? When I put it in the users log on scripts it doesnt stop the service because they are in the "users" group. So can you give me detailed instruction how I can make it work?? And when you stop the service it just stops them from recieving msgs not sending. Is there a way to block a port in the log on script???? We have 6k users. Please help. Thanks

Disable their account .. their are ways they can block their user name and we cant take 400 accounts down. Any other solutions. My co worker doesnt think there is even a solution possible. Please help :(

There is the startup script as noted above. You specify that in a group policy that applies to the machines the users are on. Problem being anybody who's savvy enough to know about services can just go in and restart it. It also only works if all your workstations are 2000/XP.

I guess I don't see how they're blocking their username (maybe you should work on that first), and yes, you can take 400 accounts down if they're all violating your acceptable use policy (maybe you should write one). Marc Creviere

What you guys dont understand this is not a company .. we can not take down accounts we are a pro bono org. any other suggestions

I do understand that. Pro bono or not, if people are abusing the system they should not be allowed to use it. I'll bow out here, and wish you luck I guess. Sorry if you feel I've been wasting your time.

Being a network administrator is kind of like being the Dread Pirate Roberts:

"I can't afford to make exceptions. Once word leaks out that a pirate has gone soft, people begin to disobey you, and then it's nothing but work, work, work, all the time." Marc Creviere

Sorry, sounds like your out of luck. Only other suggestion is tell users to ignore net send messages. Explain that if it scares them, or tells them to do something ignore it. Have them call you. Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Could you just use GPO to specify who has what rights to the messenger service. You can even specify the startup mode. You can also give a user permissions to Stop a service, but not Start it.

Here is what I would do if I were you. Note, your clients must all be 2000/xp for this to work.
Edit/Create a GPO in the container that has all your Computers. Go into "Computer Configuration", "Windows Settings", "Security Settings", "System Services". Then Find the Messenger service. Check the Define checkbox, This will then bring up a Security Box. Give "everyone" only Read Permissions, then add administrators and give them full contol. Say OK, then set the Startup Mode to Disabled. Now after GP replicates it will set the startup for the messenger service to disabled on all the computers. The messenger service will still be running however, you will have to stop it, or reboot the computers.

You could also do it the other way and create that login scrip to do a "net stop Messenger". In that case, when you set your permissions on the Messenger service, click "Advanced". You can then set to allow "Stop" Permissions.

Hope This Helps!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back