Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Me Get Rid of the "Caps Lock Is On" Warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmfortwo

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2003
US
at the log on screen in win xp the caps lock warning buble covers the domain choice. how can i keep this bubble from displaying? i tried gpedit and removed baloon messages. that got rid of everyr baloon except the one that i want gone. any advice?

Sure, don't have the caps lock on when logging in![tongue] (Joking)

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I looked at this issue recently for another thread. I do not think there is anything once can do other than to utiilize a customized logon screen. The message itself is in a class of notifications that I cannot see any clean way to modify.

I know this message is annoying, but it will keep the average user from typing in there password in all caps. Thereby elimating calls to the Help Desk. "It's not a bug, it's a feature!!":)

Jon

Jontmke,

I do not think you appreciate the problem. In a multiple-domain setting the Caps Lock notification blocks the view for the user of the Domain setting.

This is clearly not-intended.

As I said in my earlier post, you cannot stop the message, and you cannot relocate its screen location. All you can do is to create a custom logon screen to avoid the message blocking the Domain portion of the logon window.

There have been several threads on this, and I really thought at first it was a fairly trivial issue. It is decidedly not. The whole notification area of XP has gone through a review and I know some persistant issues are being addressed in Service Pack #2, but I have learned nothing of this particular one. One clear direction from the .NET side of things from Microsoft is that what is now officially called the "notficiation tray" and notification service has been examined closely. The direction of this examination is quite clear, the "notification" area is a minor XP convenience and they would like it to go away.

See what Service Pack #2 does, or Google for "XP logon screen custom" and you will find lots of suggestions. All involve essentially a hack to the native XP theme services and at times a Third Party application. This makes me uneasy, so I am waiting for Service Pack #2 to see if the location or even appearance of this particular notification can be set in Group Policy.

Best.
Bill

Are you saying this always shows up? Even if caps are not on? If so, it would be very annoying, I agree. We too have multiple domains and XP, I have not heard much about this though.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back