Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help me figure out this Norstar Modular ICS System. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

enemyphoenix

Technical User
Mar 7, 2008
US
Let me start out by saying that I am clueless when it comes to phone systems. I can tell you just about anything about commercial satellite distribution or computer networking but have never gotten a chance to setup or learn a PBX system.

My company recently acquired a Norstar system from another company we bought and our Director of Operations decided to place it with me to figure out this system and set it up to possibly replace our existing Merlin system. I have beaten my head against the wall for about 2 days trying to figure this thing out and dredge through the thousands of pages of manuals available for this thing, and I'm not having much luck. Lets start out with some pictures.

Here is the main system

01norstarmodularicsfx3.jpg

02norstarmodularicslabeex2.jpg

Here is the rom and cartridge. It's running software version 7.1

03norstarmodularicssoftwa5.jpg

04norstarmodularicsromnn9.jpg

Here is the module that is in slot 1 of the ICS, I have no clue what it actually does.

05unknownnorstarmodulenw9.jpg

06unknownmodulesticker1vw0.jpg

07unknownmodulesticker2pm7.jpg

In slot 2 of the ICS we have a 6port fiber expansion.

086portexpansionmoduleup2.jpg

096portexpansionmodulespq7.jpg

106portexpansionmodulesbi2.jpg

Here are two MOX16 Expansions.

11expansionsgv7.jpg

12expansionmodelrc8.jpg

13expansion1stickerho3.jpg

14expansion2stickerxb2.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is an expansion for analog phones

15analogexpansionsq0.jpg

16analogexpansionmodeluo4.jpg

17analogexpansionstickeql5.jpg

Voice mail System

18callpilot150minixs1.jpg

19callpilot150ministickrr1.jpg

The most useless add on ever. The FastRAD. Why program the system with a phone when you can program it with a fake emulated phone on your computer. It only takes you twice the amount of time to click the buttons with a mouse instead of just press them on a phone.

20fastradat5.jpg

21fastradstickeryl3.jpg

The T1 Trunk Module. It has been pulled out because, well, we don't have a T1...

22t1trunkmodulepa9.jpg

22t1trunkstickercz2.jpg

Finally, the phone I'm using. A T7316E.

23t7316ephonepc1.jpg

Right now I'm just trying to get it to where it supports one phone and one line to test and familiarize myself with it. I can't steal one of the lines coming into our existing system because those lines have to remain up for other aspects of our business so I've been forced to set it up and test it behind our existing system. I believe this is one of the main problems but my boss swears that it should ring through as if it were a normal POTS line, I'm think it might be causing a problem, either that or we are missing an appropriate trunk cartridge.

Here is what I'm doing. I went and bought two amphenol cables from a local store. I cut the female ends off both cables. I plugged the male end of one into the top port of this ICS and put an RJ-11 plug on the white-blue pair on the other end and connected that to a Nortel phone. That should make it the first phone in the system, port 101, DN 221 (If using 3 number DNs). I then took the other cable and plugged it into the bottom port of the ICS (which should be for lines) and put an RJ-11 connector on the white-blue pair of that cable and plug it into one of our phone jacks (That wall jack is wired into the existing Merlin system in our distro closet). That should be Line 001. I add the line to a line pool and set the phone to use both that line as default and the line pool that it's assigned to. Now I'm sure it being behind our existing system would cause problems for trying to call out with the Nortel phone but we should still be able to dial the extension for the Nortel system and have it ring through on the test Nortel phone shouldn't we? Is our existing system keeping us from testing this properly? Are we missing a trunk system to set this up using multiple analog (POTS?) lines? Keep in mind that while the Unknown Module and 6port expansion cart are plugged into the ICS, none of the expansion boxes or the voice mail system are plugged in as of yet.

You do need a trunk cartridge - like an LS/DS or CID - if you aren't using the T1. That's the first step. Second step would be not using a port off the Merlin to try and test lines. If it was an analog line it might (should?) work, but definitely not if it's a digital off the system.

And a FastRAD isn't useless - it's used for remote programming/changes, etc. We have customers all over the country and I can dial in from my office and make changes to their system.

You need an LS/DS or CID trunk card for the MICS, and make sure to install in the farthest port to the right. That would be Lines 1-4. The only way to test behind the Merlin is if you had an analog station port. Your best bet is to steal a real POTS line from the Merlin, fax, or modem, after hours if you have to.

You have the makings of a killer system, so don't get discouraged. The Call Pilot can be administered via a web browser, so it's a piece of cake.

Adversity is Opportunity

So even if we were using just analog lines we still need an appropriate trunk cartridge? Also, I know the FastRAD has it's uses, it's just useless for us. I'm also kind of giving it a hard time because when I figured out what it was I though it would allow me to config the system through serial like most of our routers, I was pretty disappointed when all I got was a fake phone on my computer screen.

Yes, they're allot of ways to trunk an MICS. T1, PRI, DID, E&M, and POTS. You need the appropriate card to interface with Telco.

Adversity is Opportunity

Ahh, thanks so much, I'm starting to understand more. I also figured out what the card in the first slot was for. It's the services card for the T1 Trunk. Are these service modules needed for all other types of trunks are is that just with certain ones like T1?

You only need it with the DTI card for T1 or PRI, it supplies the clocking. You might be able to trade the DTI and services card for 2 CID cards.

Adversity is Opportunity

The RAD is a (remote access device) it is used to program the system remotely where you would not have access to a phone. You also don’t have to use the phone template on your PC you can open up Norstar Manager portion and use the Drop Down Menu for programming. Hope this makes you fell a little better about the RAD.

As far as testing with a Merlin port, you should be able to do that. Just connect the center pair out of the Merlin system to a line port, as that's the analog pair. Did the MICS come with a system installer manual? If not, I'd hunt around for one online. Try to get one for your call pilot, too.

We'll help all we can, but it's good to have all the right docs for referrence.

How many stations are you looking at having on that phone system? you have the capabilities for 64 stations with room to add on four more modules. If you are looking at more than 18-20 phones you would probably like the PRI because of the caller ID and call by call service you get with it. If you are (REAL)lucky the PRI enabler keycode is still in the system

the first pic is of the Modular Integrated Communication system (MICS) with RAM and software service cartridge and fiber expansion card installed

the second pic is the RAM cartridge that is the carrier for the software cartridge

the third pic is the software cartridge for 7.1 software (the newest at this tme)

the fourth set of pic is the services cartridge that is needed to provide clocking and Dual Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF) Receivers for calls coming in over T1/PRI circuits.

the Fifth set of pic is the 6 port fiber expansion cartridge that lets you add up to 6 fiber modules (either trunk modules or 16 port station modules) onto the system.

Next you have pics for two fiber station modules (16 station each)

after that you have a pic for an Analog station module (8 analog stations)

Call Pilot 150 voicemail system that has 8 talking paths/4 Station ports. and is capable of 300 mailboxess 82 hours or messages. it probably came with 32 mailboxes.

The Fastrad's biggest plus is the ability to backup and restore the programming. the GUI interface is useful for the PC inclined.

the DTI Card as noted in first paragraph
the phones

With this you have a pretty good system for setting up a medium sized office. the Call Pilot should have the call center software in it as well as a couple of sample desktop messaging keycodes.

The biggest question is what do you want to do with this? You have plenty of opportunities.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

We thought about trading the T1/PRI Trunk and Service carts for a few analog ones, but seeing the prices of the models online it seems like we would definatly be losing money on the deal considering the price of the T1 Mods. Someone also pointed out that you can get Voip gateways that you can pretty much just plug into a T1 phone system.

JerryReeve - Yeah, I've done to startup command on the system a few times and probably wiped out those PRI enabler code if it was on there, how do you go about getting it again?

RikRodgers - Yeah, I have the manuals I downloaded for the MICS, CallPilot, and FastRAD and know how to get others. I just didn't have the patience to read 700+ pages just to find out if the system would work for us or not.

Notes about the FastRAD - I relize the fastrad has many uses, like I said, it was just disappointing to not be able to open up a hyper terminal and start working with a console.

Ouch, maybe we might try to trade after all, these VOIP to T1/PRI gateways are pretty pricey. Unless anyone can recommend a cost effective solution for about a grand or less.

^^^ Ignore that post.

I think what I'm going to recommend is that we get 2x 4 port analog trunks for the time being which can be had for pretty cheap and keep the T1/PRI modules for later use when we need more than 8 lines. Right now I believe we are operating with 6 lines. 4 phone, 1 fax, and 1 alarm.

-=More Questions=-
1) Would we be able to plug these into the two right slots to get our capability for 8 lines?

2) Are the CallPilot 150 Mini PCMCIA adapters and CF cards proprietary or can we install just about and adapter or CF cards for expansion?

3) Is this card an add on like the T1/PRI services cart or is the 4 port trunk PLUS caller id:

1) yes you can use this card in slots 3 & 4 (far right of main cab), this card will not give you Caller ID
2) The Call Pilot hooks to 4 Digital Station ports on your system
3) This is the same as the LS/DS except that it has Caller ID capabilities. If you go with this card then you don’t need the LS/DS Cards

Hawks - Thanks for the answers but what I was asking on question two was this. I noticed in the CallPilot 150/Mini it contains two PCMCIA slots, one of which contains an Nortel branded PCMCIA to Compact Flash Adapter and 256MB Compact Flash Card. Are these special to Nortel or would any old PCMCIA Adapter or Compact Flash work?

You really need to get a copy of the installers guide and read for a while, then you will have a fair good idea of how the system is setup and how you can work with it.

If you did not pull the poweer in the middle of a reset or pull the program/RAM card in the middle of a reset you may still have the enabler code available.

If you don't have the documentation for the enabler code or the original system ID of the key system then you cannot get the keycode back.

Several phone companies now are offering a split package of Internet access and PRI lines. what this basically does for you is get you a T1 to the telco with a pre-determined number of ports available for PRI channels to your phone system and the rest of the bandwidth available for internet access. your phone system would either accept a network (fractional T1) from the CSU or the telco provides you with a channel bank. with your configuration a fractional T1 could be used if you also need internet accesss.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Quote: " Right now I believe we are operating with 6 lines. 4 phone, 1 fax, and 1 alarm."

If you're only planning on putting 4 analog lines on the system, you'll only need one trunk card. LS/DS if you don't care about caller id, and CI if you do.

As a tech, I prefer digital, too. It's hard to see good equipment go to waste, but 6 POTS probably doesn't put you in the same price range as a full T1/PRI. It's worth investigating your options, though.

Another thing you can look at is; if you also have Internet access you can see if your carrier can bring in a circuit. Then break that circuit out for Internet and a fractional PRI, this way you can go from their equipment to your T1 card and you should be good you don’t need the VoIP Gateway that you spoke of earlier. Just provision the channels that you’ll use for voice.

I think you are missing one of the main features of the RAD and the software for it. It can be used to connect directly with a serial cable and it gives you a GUI for the programming. I am not talking about the template of the phone. Use the Browser tool. You will have to reset the RAD password, and there are methods for that here in this forum. The backup and restore is great, and the remote access allows you to make changes via the GUI from anywhere you have phone service. Look for the Rad manual, it has some good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back